cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have no JSS.

Joe W Member Since: Aug 13, 2019
1 of 13

I am new to Upwork. Since I am new I have no Job Success Score. But every client I've looked at requires a JSS of 80% to 90%. How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS. I don't have time to look through all of them. If they filter mine out because I don't have a JSS can you filter out clients that have too high of a requirement for me? It would save me a lot of time. My time is just as valuable to me as it is to them.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

Joe W wrote:

I am new to Upwork. Since I am new I have no Job Success Score. But every client I've looked at requires a JSS of 80% to 90%. How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS.

It is not a requirement. It's a preference. They don't "filter" your application because of that.

If you will be able to do the job and do it well, apply anyway.

3 of 13

I guess I misunderstood. I read something in the message boards about proposals being filter out because of a low JSS. Are the clients required to respond even if they decline my proposal? The wait to hear from them can be aggravating. Are they notified when there is a proposal waiting? I contacted one client a few days ago. But it shows that they posted the job the day before I submitted a proposal and they haven't checked it since.

Ace Contributor
Jerónimo Oscar A Member Since: Jul 23, 2019
4 of 13

Hey Joe, both JSS and Rising talent requirements aren't of top priority when it comes down to submitting a proposal, only ¨Location¨, ¨Upwork hours¨, ¨English level¨ and anything that's below JSS and Rising talent will be notified to the client and may be a waste of time to engage with those until met such requirements.

5 of 13

How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS?

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
6 of 13
You won’t, just ignore it and go for projects where you think your am exact fit.
7 of 13

According to Jerónimo Oscar that would be a waste of time. I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no. If they decline my proposal I'd at least like to know. If they want some time to think about it, I'd like to know. If I were wanting to hire someone, I would consider it rude to not let the other person know one way or the other.

Community Guru
8 of 13

Joe W wrote:

According to Jerónimo Oscar that would be a waste of time.

That's not what he said, and he's wrong anyway.

Joe W wrote:

I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no.

No, you won't hear anything from most.

Joe W wrote:

I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no.

No, clients are not required to respond with a no, and if they say "yes" you are contacted to discuss it further.

The best way to handle it is to apply and forget about it until or unless a client contacts you back. Don't "wait" for a response and get used to not hearing from clients who do not respond, they often get 50 - 100 applications per job post and may have a dozen jobs going.

Hearing "Sorry, you're not chosen" doesn't help you in any way.

If you aren't contacted, assume you didn't get it, but you never know, sometimes clients may get back to you weeks or month after an original job post.

9 of 13

Actually hearing "Sorry, you're not chosen." does help. When I submitted stories to magazines years ago, they did respond. I received many rejection letters. This caused me to re-evaluate what I was doing and I looked for ways to improve.

Community Guru
10 of 13

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

Hey Joe, both JSS and Rising talent requirements aren't of top priority when it comes down to submitting a proposal, only ¨Location¨, ¨Upwork hours¨, ¨English level¨ and anything that's below JSS and Rising talent will be notified to the client

They are all mere preferences. They are all equally important or unimportant and are all notified in exactly the same way.

Joe, *NO* JSS isn't a problem. A very low JSS may be.

None of us had a JSS when we started out

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS