🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I have trouble getting clients, even thou...
Page options
infusen
Community Member

I have trouble getting clients, even though I send good proposals, and a good profile.

Hello,

I am an American graphic designer who started Upwork a month a go. During this month, I have found 5 clients, but earned little money. In my first 2 weeks, I recieved the rising talent badge, but it soon got replaced with a JSS score of 100%. I have also spent much time making a good profile, I have a good portfolio, I have aced many tests, and I also write all of my proposals from scratch. However, none of my clients are sending me invites or giving me the job. I am in need of money, and I am really confused, any help I can get would be useful.

Best Regards,

Wasay

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Wasay S wrote:

Hello,

I am an American graphic designer who started Upwork a month a go. During this month, I have found 5 clients, but earned little money. In my first 2 weeks, I recieved the rising talent badge, but it soon got replaced with a JSS score of 100%. I have also spent much time making a good profile, I have a good portfolio, I have aced many tests, and I also write all of my proposals from scratch. However, none of my clients are sending me invites or giving me the job. I am in need of money, and I am really confused, any help I can get would be useful.

Best Regards,

Wasay

One rule of thumb is not to overpromise. You come across as thinking you are perfect, but you display below average test results, don't do that. 

You must have done something right to win clients so quickly, so keep doing that! If I were a client contemplating hiring a newbie, I would like to see who his previous clients were - if they were legit or just friends feedback building, so make these jobs not private. You have nothing to hide, right?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Wasay S wrote:

Hello,

Best Regards,

Wasay

One rule of thumb is not to overpromise. You come across as thinking you are perfect, but you display below average test results, don't do that. 

You must have done something right to win clients so quickly, so keep doing that! If I were a client contemplating hiring a newbie, I would like to see who his previous clients were - if they were legit or just friends feedback building, so make these jobs not private. You have nothing to hide, right?

tlbp
Community Member

There are probably 50 graphic designers (or more) for every client seeking one on Upwork. You can't win them all. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Wasay, what do you mean on your profile when you say "I have a different name on all these websites".  That's very suspicious sounding...

You don't list education in your profile.

tlsanders
Community Member

Wasay, you may want to ask a native English speaker to proofread your profile. Although English writing skills aren't directly on point for the type of work you do, some clients will be put off by the large number of small errors and awkward phrasings in your profile text.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

A quick glance at your profile I noticed a couple of big dings in client feedback based upon your skills. The public feedback was poor, so that means their private feedback was pretty bad, too. 

I was also alerted to those projects where the client was specifically looking for someone to research and design logos for them that would not infringe upon the registered trademarks of other companies. I certainly hope you truly do know where to research such things, and don't merely change a few things in other work because if your clients get sued, they can add you to the lawsuit.  

You should update your profile to reflect what you're majoring in - you're still in college for ?? If it's design-related, you need to add it. 

You need to run this like a business, not a job. Freelancing isn't get rich quick. UW tests are meaningless (answers are on the internet).

It's your skills that are dinging your score. You need to look at the bad feedback you've gotten and use it to improve in those areas they're complaining about. Average in Chicago is $25/hour+ based on skills. 

You're still at 90% JSS, so you can certainly move up if you take it heart. 

infusen
Community Member

My title is pretty self explanotory. I am dissatisfied with me not recieving any clients. I had a look at my stats, and I have a moderate amount of people visiting my profile, and interviewing me compared to my peers, but I still haven't got any jobs recently. All of the proposals I send are custom made, and are also relevant to the job request, so the proposals aren't the issue, but what is?! Please, I need help on this, this is really stressing me out. Thanks!

You're making a lot of assumptions that are probably getting in the way of you figuring out what you need to change.

First, on what basis do you conclude that you're doing everything right? The fact that what you're doing isn't working strongly suggests otherwise.

Second, the fact that you're writing a custom proposal for each job doesn't necessarily mean you're doing a good job of it. 

Maybe your proposals are goog, though, since you say you're getting interviewed often. Interviewed but not hired...so, what's falling apart at that point? That's probably the first thing to scrutinize--what are you doing (or not doing) at the interview stage that is consistently converting maybes to nos?

i'm not that impressed with Upwork's "stats." I am asked to interview frequently, yet about 50% of the time I never actually speak with the client (i.e. via message or otherwise).

Tiffany asks what is happening in the interview stage, but it really depends if you are even actually participating in an interview, or if the client is just comparing proposals/freelancers.

I also find that I get waves of "serious" clients and waves of "shopping" clients. 

I don't have much advice beyond that since your speciality is not one I know well.  

Wasay,

When you write your customized proposals, you must remember that to begin with, the client only sees the first three lines. In those three lines, you have to convince the client to look further, so don't waste valuable real estate with lengthy introductions. Cut straight to the chase with an outline of what you can do for the client,  which will cost x dollars and  take x amount of time.  All the other details such as skill, education, experience etc. can come later in your proposal. 

You should also raise your rates. They are too low. 

Miriam H wrote:

Tiffany asks what is happening in the interview stage, but it really depends if you are even actually participating in an interview, or if the client is just comparing proposals/freelancers.

I'm confused about what you might mean by this. What is an interview except the process by which an employer/client engages with applicants and compares them?

Tiffany S wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

I'm confused about what you might mean by this. What is an interview except the process by which an employer/client engages with applicants and compares them?

What I meant, and I realize I wasn't clear, is that upwork considers it an "interview" if the client connects with you on Upwork. I am invited to interview and I never speak to the client, our only messaging is their invite and my proposal. You asked the OP what happens in the interview process, he may not have any opportunity to present himself beyond his proposal as the client may not ask questions or engage him.

In the real world, an interview is only when I actually speak to a recruiter or hiring manager. Upwork categorizes interviews differently.

Does that clarify? 

Miriam H wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

What I meant, and I realize I wasn't clear, is that upwork considers it an "interview" if the client connects with you on Upwork. I am invited to interview and I never speak to the client, our only messaging is their invite and my proposal. You asked the OP what happens in the interview process, he may not have any opportunity to present himself beyond his proposal as the client may not ask questions or engage him.

In the real world, an interview is only when I actually speak to a recruiter or hiring manager. Upwork categorizes interviews differently.

Does that clarify? 

Yes, thank you. I agree that designation is misleading (as is the fact that Upwork labels a job "you applied" if you've been invited).

I doubt that this applies to OP, though, as newer freelancers who aren't getting hired tend not to get a lot of invitations. There must be two-way communication for the status to show as "interviewing," so if the freelancer wasn't invited, it counts as an interview only if the client responds and opens communication.

Tiffany S wrote:

Yes, thank you. I agree that designation is misleading (as is the fact that Upwork labels a job "you applied" if you've been invited).

I doubt that this applies to OP, though, as newer freelancers who aren't getting hired tend not to get a lot of invitations. There must be two-way communication for the status to show as "interviewing," so if the freelancer wasn't invited, it counts as an interview only if the client responds and opens communication.

This is actually interesting and I hadn't really considered how the interview process on Upwork differs when you are invited and when you submit a proposal.  It's not uncommon when I am invited to apply that I actually don't speak with the client, in that case I suspect it's somewhat of a price comparison exercise.  

Thanks!

Wasay:

Honestly... I think a big problem you're facing is that there simply isn't a shortage of logo designers out there.

You want to do so something that LOTS AND LOTS of other people are offering to do. That's a tough place to be in.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths