cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have trouble getting clients, even though I send good proposals, and a good profile.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 16

Wasay,

When you write your customized proposals, you must remember that to begin with, the client only sees the first three lines. In those three lines, you have to convince the client to look further, so don't waste valuable real estate with lengthy introductions. Cut straight to the chase with an outline of what you can do for the client,  which will cost x dollars and  take x amount of time.  All the other details such as skill, education, experience etc. can come later in your proposal. 

You should also raise your rates. They are too low. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 16

Miriam H wrote:

Tiffany asks what is happening in the interview stage, but it really depends if you are even actually participating in an interview, or if the client is just comparing proposals/freelancers.

I'm confused about what you might mean by this. What is an interview except the process by which an employer/client engages with applicants and compares them?

m_sharman
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
13 of 16

Tiffany S wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

Tiffany asks what is happening in the interview stage, but it really depends if you are even actually participating in an interview, or if the client is just comparing proposals/freelancers.

I'm confused about what you might mean by this. What is an interview except the process by which an employer/client engages with applicants and compares them?

What I meant, and I realize I wasn't clear, is that upwork considers it an "interview" if the client connects with you on Upwork. I am invited to interview and I never speak to the client, our only messaging is their invite and my proposal. You asked the OP what happens in the interview process, he may not have any opportunity to present himself beyond his proposal as the client may not ask questions or engage him.

In the real world, an interview is only when I actually speak to a recruiter or hiring manager. Upwork categorizes interviews differently.

Does that clarify? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 16

Miriam H wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

What I meant, and I realize I wasn't clear, is that upwork considers it an "interview" if the client connects with you on Upwork. I am invited to interview and I never speak to the client, our only messaging is their invite and my proposal. You asked the OP what happens in the interview process, he may not have any opportunity to present himself beyond his proposal as the client may not ask questions or engage him.

In the real world, an interview is only when I actually speak to a recruiter or hiring manager. Upwork categorizes interviews differently.

Does that clarify? 

Yes, thank you. I agree that designation is misleading (as is the fact that Upwork labels a job "you applied" if you've been invited).

I doubt that this applies to OP, though, as newer freelancers who aren't getting hired tend not to get a lot of invitations. There must be two-way communication for the status to show as "interviewing," so if the freelancer wasn't invited, it counts as an interview only if the client responds and opens communication.

m_sharman
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
15 of 16

Tiffany S wrote:

Yes, thank you. I agree that designation is misleading (as is the fact that Upwork labels a job "you applied" if you've been invited).

I doubt that this applies to OP, though, as newer freelancers who aren't getting hired tend not to get a lot of invitations. There must be two-way communication for the status to show as "interviewing," so if the freelancer wasn't invited, it counts as an interview only if the client responds and opens communication.

This is actually interesting and I hadn't really considered how the interview process on Upwork differs when you are invited and when you submit a proposal.  It's not uncommon when I am invited to apply that I actually don't speak with the client, in that case I suspect it's somewhat of a price comparison exercise.  

Thanks!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 16

Wasay:

Honestly... I think a big problem you're facing is that there simply isn't a shortage of logo designers out there.

You want to do so something that LOTS AND LOTS of other people are offering to do. That's a tough place to be in.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS