🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I'm new. Should I do the sketches?
Page options
tiyani-mdaka
Community Member

I'm new. Should I do the sketches?

Hi

I have a client who approached me with a job. But will only create a contract based on my initial concept sketches. Should I do the sketches without a contract?

In my country sketches are part of the design process and IP of the project and so I am reluctant. But I am new to Upwork and don't want to start with a bad reputation.

Please help

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tiyani,

Did the client ask for free work? Please keep in mind that asking for free work is a violation of our TOS.
To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Tiyani M wrote:

Hi

I have a client who approached me with a job. But will only create a contract based on my initial concept sketches. Should I do the sketches without a contract?

In my country sketches are part of the design process and IP of the project and so I am reluctant. But I am new to Upwork and don't want to start with a bad reputation.

Please help

No, you never do any work without a contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Tiyani, this client is asking for free work. He is violating Upwork TOS.

You should tell the client that he may set up a contract to pay you for creating the sketches. You should explain that if he does not want to proceed after he sees the sketches, he is not obligated to do so. He will own the sketches, but he will not be required to continue paying you to do the final work.

No client is ever required to continue working with a freelancer if they don't want to.

If the client does not hire you, then you should report him for asking for free work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths