🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I'm not sure when my client will pay me.
Page options
e1c41370
Community Member

I'm not sure when my client will pay me.

Hi all. I recently did a job editing test essays. The flat fee was $60, and the test edits were to see if you were good enough for a long-term job as an editing coach.  I was not selected for the long-term job, but I did the test essays. The job description states that it's an ongoing job, so there is no set deadline. How can I receive the payment? Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohammad, 

I looked into this, and it seems like the client set up a contract for a test job. You submitted work for the milestone five days ago. The client has 14-days to review the work you submitted. If the client doesn't get back to you in 14-days, the money in escrow will automatically be processed to your account. You may read more about getting paid on fixed-price contracts in this article.

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
0ea796be
Community Member

There isn't an open or closed job on your profile. It looks like you did the work without having a contract in place so you probably won't get paid. Never do any work before accepting an official offer. 

Jobs on profile are only shown once a payment has been made. If you don't see a job on someone else's profile, it doesn't mean automatically that the contract does not exist. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohammad, 

I looked into this, and it seems like the client set up a contract for a test job. You submitted work for the milestone five days ago. The client has 14-days to review the work you submitted. If the client doesn't get back to you in 14-days, the money in escrow will automatically be processed to your account. You may read more about getting paid on fixed-price contracts in this article.

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
e1c41370
Community Member

Thank you very much, Avery! If I didn't get the position, should I ask the client about closing the contract?

Hi Mohammad,

If in case you did not meet the client's qualifications with the test job, they will probably be ending the contract themselves. If you proactively prefer in asking the client to end a contract, you will want to consider waiting for them to release any funds they've already placed in escrow as part of the agreed-upon contract with you.

~ Arjay
Upwork

It would be better if you don't ask the client to close the project, because then they'll be forced to leave you a review; if you weren't chosen, it's because they liked somebody else's work better, so the review might be bad. Just leave it, wait for a few weeks (or months), then close it yourself.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths