🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I'm trying to pay my freelancer, but it's...
Page options
metzae
Community Member

I'm trying to pay my freelancer, but it's forcing me to refund my escrow or fund it all over again.

I've already funded and paid for one milestone, and I'm trying to pay the freelancer for the second. But if I end the contract it is telling me the amount held in escrow will be refunded. But I can't activate the next milestone because it appears to be telling me it will fund it again. I don't want to pay more to pay for what is already funded in escrow.

I'm very familiar with Upwork, so I've never experienced this before. It feels like there was a UI change that I'm missing.

3 REPLIES 3
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Eric,

Ending a contract without releasing the funds to the freelancer first will indeed result in a refund request being generated, however you should be able to release the funds to the freelancer using the instructions outlined here. You can also find more detailed information about working on Fixed Price contracts with a freelancer (such as funding additional milestones, issuing bonsuses, etc) here.

~Nina
petra_r
Community Member

@Eric M wrote:

I've already funded and paid for one milestone, and I'm trying to pay the freelancer for the second. But if I end the contract it is telling me the amount held in escrow will be refunded. But I can't activate the next milestone because it appears to be telling me it will fund it again.

I'm very familiar with Upwork, so I've never experienced this before. It feels like there was a UI change that I'm missing.

If you have already funded and released (!) one milestone move on to funding and then releasing the second. Of course it will have to fund the second milestone before you can release it, it looks like you set up two but only funded one, or you only set up and funded one.

At any rate milestones have to be set up and funded before they can be released, and 2nd milestone can only be funded once the first one has been released.

Once in a while I am happy to see a post when a client wants to PAY.  Most of the time I see that they are looking for ways to get out of PAYING!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths