🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I´m trying to put an embed code on my video b...
Page options
unidian
Community Member

I´m trying to put an embed code on my video but you won´t accept it

I´m trying to put an embed code on my video but you won´t accept it

20 REPLIES 20
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

When adding a YouTube video to your Upwork profile, please make sure you disable monetization (there are no ads on your video), Adhere to all other Upwork Terms of Service and allow embedding for this video (this will need to be done on your YouTube channel.)

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
unidian
Community Member

Hi, Thanks for getting back. As to monetization, it looks like the default
position on YouTube is that your video is not monetized until you meet
certain viewing numbers. There does not seem to be a way to request that
your video is not monetized?

I have already requested an embed code from YouTube which I tried to paste
into my profile on Upwork ... but got a message to say that it was not a
valid URL?
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Instead of copying the code, please copy and paste the YouTube video link (www.youtube.com/watch...) into the box. Let us know if you've managed to upload the video to your profile.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Yes, I did that and it works ... except that it comes with a message that
says the video can only be watched on YouTube as the ówner´ has not made it
accessible on your site. I´ll do it again and you can see for yourself. If
I can´t put in the embed code, what can I do?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Could you please check if this option is selected when you go to edit your video on YouTube and then click on more options?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
unidian
Community Member

No. This does not appear. On their help it says play the video, click share
then click embed. This brings up a long code that you have rejected!
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Could you please click on my name and send me the You Tube video link in a private message, so I could guide you further?

~ Vladimir
Upwork
unidian
Community Member

OK. This is many times I´ve had to ask this question!! I got a private message from, I think, Vladimir, but he has disappeared. Here is the problem ... again! I want to put a video on my entry. However, it shows up as me having decided to keep the video private. The message says the owner has not allowed it to be played on other sites. I went to you tube to get a code to make the video public. This is a very long code which you wouldn´t accept. Vladimir tried to find a URL and sent it to me, but that didn´t work either. Getting desparate here ... and don´t want a reply from you which doesn´t help suggesting  things I have already done!!!  

Thomas K wrote:

OK. This is many times I´ve had to ask this question!! I got a private message from, I think, Vladimir, but he has disappeared. Here is the problem ... again! I want to put a video on my entry. However, it shows up as me having decided to keep the video private. The message says the owner has not allowed it to be played on other sites. I went to you tube to get a code to make the video public. This is a very long code which you wouldn´t accept. Vladimir tried to find a URL and sent it to me, but that didn´t work either. Getting desparate here ... and don´t want a reply from you which doesn´t help suggesting  things I have already done!!!  

Let people who care watch it on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY9Wci0k4-Y&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

Hi!
Thanks for the reply. I only ask why I can´t have the video play from
Upwork without going to YouTube? It seems to be possible (somehow) but what
I get from YouTube is not acceptable to Upwork. There must be a way! Do
others have this problem?
Thomas
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Could you please check the private message I sent you yesterday and let me know if the steps I shared helped resolve the problem? I just sent you another private message with more detailed instructions. If the issue persists we'll definitely help with adding the video to your profile. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork
unidian
Community Member

When I ask about uploading video, it says you can add a YouTube or Vimeo video. YouTube quality is terrible, so I placed my video on Vimeo. When I pasted in the Vimeo URL, I got this (see attached jpeg) so what´s the problem?

petra_r
Community Member

Thomas K wrote:

When I ask about uploading video, it says you can add a YouTube or Vimeo video. YouTube quality is terrible, so I placed my video on Vimeo. When I pasted in the Vimeo URL, I got this (see attached jpeg) so what´s the problem?

Only YouTube links work.

Where did you ask and were told you can use Vimeo?

unidian
Community Member

It´s there in the instructions

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately at the moment you will be able to add only a YouTube video/URL. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

OK. Thanks. When you say át the moment´ will this change? The problem I have is when I use YouTube the quality is very bad, even though I loaded the video at 4k. Much better in Vimeo.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas,

Following up here since we also communicated privately on this subject to confirm that we don't have an update regarding possible changes and currently only YouTube links are accepted for the profile videos feature.

I suspect you might be referring to the option to include Vimeo videos in your profile Portfolio?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir!

Thanks for keeping in touch. Well, it looks like I´m stuck with YouTube. I did follow your advice and managed to get the video embedded. Because YouTube´s default position is low res, I reloaded the video in 4k and now it shows up quite well on YouTube. So far, so good. BUT when I play it from Upwork, the quality deteriorates badly. So, I reverted to playing it directly on YouTube (took allow embedding off) and it now plays quite well. The problem is that, after my video plays, it goes on to show other YouTube videos. Why does the video deteriorate after embedding? If that can´t be fixed, is there a way to stop YouTube playing other videos after mine?

Thanks ... again:) , Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I just tested embedding a video in an Upwork profile and wasn't able to replicate the issue with the quality you were referring to. It does show on a pop up but looks the same as when viewing on YouTube site. 

The option to use Autoplay (play next suggested video) is something each YouTube user sets up individually for themselves using this option. So it won't play the same for everybody. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for getting back. Let´s try this. I´ll change my video to embed and
you can take a look at it. For comparison, I tried attaching the video so
you can check the quality but the mail bounced. If you have another email
address, I could try to send it there? Maybe it´s something to do with my
ISP that I get such poor quality when I look at it. If it looks good to
you, I´ll keep it embedded. If not, I can revert to playing it on YouTube.
If I do that and turn autoplay off, will it not show another video after
mine?

Hey Vladimir. I understand I´m taking up a lot of your time. I´m grateful
amigo!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths