🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I paid for a job and he has now gone
Page options
2124b9d1
Community Member

I paid for a job and he has now gone

Hi

I wanted to ask for advice, I am very new to upwork. I looked at a job I wanted, paid for it. The free lancer then said he would start once the payment has been released, I presumed this was correct. It seemed like he started the job then all the work dissappeared. Up until this point he was always online or away, I contacted him when he said he had encountered a problem and would fix it yesturday.

Nothing chnaged I conteacted him this morning, he is now offline and hasnt been back online.

I can acceppt that I more than likley have been scammed and duped out of my money especially as he wouldnt start until I released the money,

However I thought this was a legitamate site and wanted to know if its common practise? Is this see often? Do people start accounts, rip people off then disappear? 

Is there anything that I can do as it seems I have to write my cimpliant in the community forum where I would of prefered a private chat with somebody official and not a robot called data.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I paid for a job and he has now gone"

That is fine.

I went to a restaurant and paid for a meal.

The next day the restaurant was gone. So what?

re: "I wanted to ask for advice, I am very new to upwork. I looked at a job I wanted, paid for it. The freelancer then said he would start once the payment has been released, I presumed this was correct."

Ah... I see what happened.

No. That was NOT correct.

If you hire a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, then the freelancer is supposed to do the work and give it to you and then you review it. And then AFTER that has happened, THEN you release payment.

re: "However I thought this was a legitimate site"

That's correct.

This is a legitimate site.

re: "...and wanted to know if its common practice? Is this see often?"

Define "common."

Define "often."

Is this what usually happens?

No.

Has this happened before?

Yes.

You may have been talking to a scammer and not a legitimate, professional freelancer.

re: " Do people start accounts, rip people off then disappear?"

Yes.

re: "Is there anything that I can do?"

You can learn from your mistake and not make the same mistake next time.

re: "Thanks. Any help would be appreciated."

You're welcome.

AndreaG

Hi Kelly,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. One of our agents has reached out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further. You can access your ticket from the notification sent to your email address and also here.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths