🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I refused to work for the clients with ve...
Page options
nav_dhaliwal
Community Member

I refused to work for the clients with very very low budget and this affected my JSS.

Hello. 

I recently ended a few contracts that were lying inactive for a long time. Also, I refused to work for a few clients who asked me to work at a very very low budget. 

When I refused to such clients, they provided a poor rating on my profile. 

Because of these reasons, my profile has lost the top-rated badge 😞 and my job success rate has declined. 

Ethically, the steps I took should be right. 

Then, why this just happened 😞

Kindly advice!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

If I encounter a potential client whose budget is too low for her to afford my services...

...then if I decide to not work for that client, it is impossible for this refusal to affect my Job Success Score...

...because it is impossible for any client or job posting to affect my JSS unless I decide to actually accept a hire offer and start an official contract.

re: "I refused to work for a few clients who asked me to work at a very very low budget. When I refused to such clients, they provided a poor rating on my profile."

I am sorry if you had a negative experience while using Upwork.

But can you help us understand what happened to you?

If you refused to work for very very low budget clients... then how were these clients able to give you a poor rating on your profile?

When you used the phrase "refused to work for clients"...

...were you using this as shorthand for: "started working for, and then refused to continue working for clients" ?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Navkiran D wrote:

Hello. 

I recently ended a few contracts that were lying inactive for a long time. Also, I refused to work for a few clients who asked me to work at a very very low budget. 

When I refused to such clients, they provided a poor rating on my profile. 

Because of these reasons, my profile has lost the top-rated badge 😞 and my job success rate has declined. 

Ethically, the steps I took should be right. 

Then, why this just happened 😞

Kindly advice!

It is really not that hard to get a good work history and feedback on upwork, the secret is choosing clients wisely. Clearly it's unwise to accept a contract and then realize the pay is low and then tell the client you don't want to work at this rate. Bad feedback is guaranteed when you do that. You are not ethically right to insist on higher pay when you accepted a contract with different terms. Would you be happy if you had a dress made by a tailor, and halfway through the work the tailor tells you that you are a cheap-skate person and it will cost twice the amount to finish the dress? You would not, you would feel extorted.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths