🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I still can't get a job.
Page options
valentinproperzi
Community Member

I still can't get a job.

I have applied for at least 14 jobs and despite having the rising talent, a complete profile and decent cover letters, I don't even get any messages. I know I must be doing something wrong, can someone revise my profile and see if there is something wrong with it?. Apparently, everyone asks for a lot of experience for a job but I can't get experience if I do not work. 

BTW, I  haven't received my 30 connects yet

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Freelancers with baccalaureate and graduate degrees, in professional fields that are not already overloaded on UW, routinely spend months submitting proposals before landing their first project. You are still in school, with no professional track record yet, trying to compete in a field that is already jam-packed with FLs who bring more experience and credentials to the table than you do.

If you choose to persevere, just know that it's going to be an uphill climb. One thing you can do to help yourself is rework your profile. A client only sees the first couple of lines unless they click it open, so make the first sentence or two count. Don't waste words giving your name or location, they can already see that. It would be worth your while to search UW for translators who are successfully doing the kind of work you want to do, and see what their profiles look like.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valentin, 

Hang in there! You may also want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork. Hopefully it helps you land the jobs you are gunning for!

Since you are also new here, please read up on the freelancer resources for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

~ Avery
Upwork
jacob_langbayan
Community Member

Hello Valentin,

Patience is the key. Took me almost one year of trial and error, especially studying some very important tips. Now I've landed my fourth job already. I know you can do it! 

Cheers!

Some good advice can be found in this thread.

Only the original poster can decide if he wants to continue trying to succeed in establishing himself in a job niche which is glutted.

Clearly, it IS possible to do. But not the easiest thing to do.

The original poster wants to do Spanish-language translation. And there are already far more Spanish language translators on Upwork than are needed. Much more supply than demand.

For other job niches, there are is much more demand than there is supply.

So whenever that happens, there's a strong "lifestyle" element to the freelancer's desire. It's not just about money. Because there are dozens of things that the freelancer could do to earn money that are more readily accessible and easier to get into. Especially if he is willing to forget about trying to work on Upwork, and look for work in his local community.

Upwork is about lifestlye, not just money, for every freelancer who uses it. That's simply more true of those who try to make "overly-subscribed" job niches versus "in-demand" job niches.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Freelancers with baccalaureate and graduate degrees, in professional fields that are not already overloaded on UW, routinely spend months submitting proposals before landing their first project. You are still in school, with no professional track record yet, trying to compete in a field that is already jam-packed with FLs who bring more experience and credentials to the table than you do.

If you choose to persevere, just know that it's going to be an uphill climb. One thing you can do to help yourself is rework your profile. A client only sees the first couple of lines unless they click it open, so make the first sentence or two count. Don't waste words giving your name or location, they can already see that. It would be worth your while to search UW for translators who are successfully doing the kind of work you want to do, and see what their profiles look like.

Good luck!

rasydanppgraphic
Community Member

Hi. I applied 16 jobs but thanks had only one simple job. I don't expect too much every job I have submitted but will do my best. Be patient and move on. I am new here I already have zero connect 😁. Hope you'll get your first project soon. Good luck!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths