Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I almost got scam....

Highlighted
Kam Wah L Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 5
Hi guys,

Recently, I saw an ads looking for part time graphic designer on Upwork.com and i applied for it. 

After that, they message me on Upwork and I am asked to add a lady name ***Edited for Community Guidelines*** on Skype and someone name***Edited for Community Guidelines*** to email me a confirmation letter to sign, and "***Edited for Community Guidelines*** told me the company would buy a laptop + software and ship to me by courier, the total amount of the laptop + software is about USD4000++, which I need to pay 10% of it, then she provided me the information of the vendor who is in TEXAS.

I feel something isn't right, and i went to check on LinkedIn, the whole company is legit and it is located at Zurich, even***Edited for Community Guidelines*** are legit people. But I am thinking the accounts are fake, someone might pretending as them to try to scam on people's money.

When i check the ads on Upwork, it has been removed by Upwork as it is inappropriate. And i realised the location of the person who posted the ads is in the USA, btu the company is located in Zurich. 

By sharing this, I hope everyone would take note on this. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

Yeah, that's a scam. You were right.

In the future, there is no need to check on LinkedIn. Googling these company names and client names is a bad idea.

If a "client" wants to send you a laptop or get money from you, it's a scam. It doesn't matter what they're name is.

Until you understand Upwork and scams better, you should avoid googling names, because that is a big part of the scammer's plot. They want you to Google the names that they feed you.

Highlighted
Kam Wah L Member Since: May 23, 2017
3 of 5

Thanks Preston, i did went to LinkedIn and check the company and they have 500++ employees, everything seems true to me, but asking me to pay money first does't make any sense for me. And they offer a good pay, $39 an hour! Well, too good to be true.

Highlighted
Dragana D Member Since: May 23, 2017
4 of 5

As i can realize here are more scammers than real clients. Smiley Sad Since I just have been contacted with some `proposal` by scammer. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

Dragana, most Upwork clients are real, and most are great.

But scammers target newbies.

Scammers NEVER contract me. When you gain experience, they'll leave you alone.

View solution in original post