🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I think my job score is miscalculated
Page options
khanfr
Community Member

I think my job score is miscalculated

Greetings,

I am rather new on Upwork and today they started to show my job score on my profile and it says 70%. Now I am curious because I had a total of 5 contracts all of which got me perfect feedback scores, and 1 on-going contract which is also likely to return a perfect score as well. I read the article on how it's calculated and it still doesn't make sense. Can anyone tell me what's the issue here?

Any help would be appreciated as I can't seem to contact Upwork. 
Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barada00
Community Member

You have 5 completed jobs. Therefore even one poor private feedback can cause a very high drop in your JJS. You say you didn't refund and I suppose you didn't have any contracts where no money was exchanged (they won't show in your profile). I checked every completed job in your profile:

The first job about website translation for which you charged 1 hour, they hired another person for the same job who worked and charged 24 hours. They probably gave you a very poor private feedback.

Turkish to English translation/transcribing job doesn't show any amount yet and it is a private job (probably, because I couldn't see it) this might be the 2nd job taking your JSS down.

I'm pretty sure the other 3 gave you full stars in private.

Since you have so small number of jobs your JSS would come up fast if you complete more jobs with perfect rating. A small tip, if your repeat client asks for additional or follow up work ask them for a new contract.

I wish you a new year full of perfect ratings.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ahsan-kazmi
Community Member

Normally completion of 8 jobs is rerquired by upwork to calculate and display your up-to-date job success score. Perhaps you should wait for it.

It says they require 5 contracts to start showing JSS, nevertheless the amount of contracts shouldn't be the issue here since JSS is there except it's abnormally wrong. I've gone over everything and just can't make sense of this. All the contracts came back with perfect scores. Here's the screenshot: 

yitwail
Community Member

Khan, did you refund any money to a client? That can lower your score significantly.

Absolutely not. Although these projects were rather small, all my employers were extremely pleasant with the work I provided for them. 

felixmena
Community Member

Hey Khan,

Please consider that not only public feedback you see in the Work History, but also private feedback, as well as contracts with no feedback and no money paid are included into the Job Success score.

You may also review the information available in this link about JSS. Please, go over the additional links you'll find within this one.
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-My-Job-Success-Score

Felix
Untitled
petra_r
Community Member

Either there's another contract which maybe never got going (nothing paid) or private feedback got you.

I would also respectfully suggest you don't apply to or take translations from Turkish to English.

barada00
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

I would also respectfully suggest you don't apply to or take translations from Turkish to English.

Hello Petra. There are language pairs like some European languages where native English speakers have good skills. Unfortunately there are not so many English natives who know Turkish. I would kindly suggest the OP to have his translations edited by a native English speaker before delivering them and charging accordingly (higher) for Turkish to English translations.

khanfr
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

Either there's another contract which maybe never got going (nothing paid) or private feedback got you.

I am not sure why you say that but I mostly translate from EN>TR anyway simply because the time it takes to translate from TR>EN mostly not worth the money. But thank you for your unrelated suggestion. 

barada00
Community Member

You have 5 completed jobs. Therefore even one poor private feedback can cause a very high drop in your JJS. You say you didn't refund and I suppose you didn't have any contracts where no money was exchanged (they won't show in your profile). I checked every completed job in your profile:

The first job about website translation for which you charged 1 hour, they hired another person for the same job who worked and charged 24 hours. They probably gave you a very poor private feedback.

Turkish to English translation/transcribing job doesn't show any amount yet and it is a private job (probably, because I couldn't see it) this might be the 2nd job taking your JSS down.

Since you have so small number of jobs your JSS would come up fast if you complete more jobs with perfect rating. A small tip, if your repeat client asks for additional or follow up work ask them for a new contract.

khanfr
Community Member

@Baris A wrote:

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Barış! I wasn't aware of this "Private Feedback" feature. It's kind of weird because I would do everything to make him happy, including a refund but he seemed pretty okay with it.

About the transcription job, I did receive a payment for that contract but I can't see the amount next to it's feedback and I didn't know why until now. Assuming this one provided perfect feedback (including private feedback), does it being private job affect the score in any way? 

Thank you again, the score was driving me mad but now things are clear and I think I'll be okay 🙂 

barada00
Community Member

@Khan M wrote:

About the transcription job, I did receive a payment for that contract but I can't see the amount next to it's feedback and I didn't know why until now. Assuming this one provided perfect feedback (including private feedback), does it being private job affect the score in any way? 

Hello again Gürkan, the job being private doesn't affect your JSS. However a 30 point fall is too much as the effect of only one job. My guess is the first one gave seriously low and this one gave a 7 or 8.

khanfr
Community Member

I see, that makes total sense. I know I am asking too much, please forgive me but I have one more question. Is the value of a contract important factor for JSS? I mean, that first job which got me negative private feedback was worth $12.50. Let's assume I earned $60 from another job and it returned perfect scores. Are these two affect the JSS same or the one that I earned $60 affects the JSS about five times more?

barada00
Community Member

All contracts are equal regardless of $ amount in relation to JSS. More contracts with the same client has a positive effect but their lack doesn't have a negative. For more insight you can read related posts in UpWork blog, search community (here) and help pages. How it's calculated is kept as a secret but you can learn many things about it if you spend some time. You've been unlucky with your first few contracts. It is "up" from here, so I wouldn't worry much if I were you and look forward.

As Petra wrote in another thread, "Don't look back, you're not going that way."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths