🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I've been asked to pay a deposit of $50 by th...
Page options
120c3830
Community Member

I've been asked to pay a deposit of $50 by the client

The first client I contacted asked me to pay a $50 deposit before they can send me the work.

deposit will be refunded at the final payment - is this normal?

I've been working as a freelance translator since 2004 and this is the first time this has happened to me.

what do you guys think?

Randa. 

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

A very popular scam right now. 

petra_r
Community Member

No, it's obviously a scam.

Remember that you are not allowed to communicate with any client outside of Upwork until you are hired, Doing so is a serious violation of Upwork's terms of service.

As most scammers try to steer the communication outside of the platform straight away, if you don't go along with that you're relatively safe from scams and also won't get your account suspended for violating the terms of service.

Sounds like you should report the user so they can have their acount banned. Anyone attempting this should be immediatly banned. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Randa E wrote:

The first client I contacted asked me to pay a $50 deposit before they can send me the work.

deposit will be refunded at the final payment - is this normal?

What makes you think that they will pay you back? If someone approached you on the street and said, "Give me $50 and I'll pay you back later, I promise," would you give it to them? 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

It is a scam that has become normal to see here and for people to fall for.. Please read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths