🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I want change name on my profile
Page options
dahmed7331
Community Member

I want change name on my profile

Hi,

My ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I want to change name on profile. It is showing right now Dilshad A. but I wan to change with Israr A. as I have updated in contact details. Please resolve this issue.

Kind Regards,

Israr

18 REPLIES 18
petra_r
Community Member

@Israr A wrote:

Hi,

My ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I want to change name on profile. It is showing right now Dilshad A. but I wan to change with Israr A. as I have updated in contact details. Please resolve this issue.

Has your legal name changed? Which is your real name and why would there be this discrepancy in the first place?

I see that so many eastern ppl have the same issue, is possible that those countries admit to change your name or something like it??

Patricia M wrote:

I see that so many eastern ppl have the same issue, is possible that those countries admit to change your name or something like it??

Patricia, I don't believe it's common in eastern countries to change your first name, or in any other countries. Upwork does not allow a name change without approval for a reason. They want to make sure that no accounts are created by one person with a skill-set that is underrepresented and therefore easily approved that are sold later to another person. Hence video verification, etc. 

Hello, I have some small changes in my id card , If I change only one or two letter on my name on my Id card and then change my upwork account is there will be aproblem?
Thanks
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Israr,

You can update your profile name in your Settings> Contact Info. ID verification may be requested after you change your profile name. As Petra noted, your Upwork account has to have your real, legal name on it and reflect only truthful information about yourself.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello,

I also need a help in this regard. My Current Upwork name is Zeba Islam. Zeba is my nick name. But I want to make it Jahanara begum. I have Passport and Bank Statement. I don't NID Card. If I request for name change How much it will take effect ? 

Regards

Zeba

Hi Zeba, 

Changing your name will require ID verification. On this help article you will see which IDs you can use to verify your identity. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

I have valid passport with that name but I don't have NID Card. Only Passport will do work for this ?

Regards

Zeba

Hi Zeba, 

As noted in the link I sent above, passports are accepted:

• Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets the criteria above. Even when issued by a government agency, we can't accept documents like student IDs, employee IDs, or library cards.

~ Avery
Upwork
23f986c8
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

While registeration of my profile Upwork asked First and Last name that I have provided. However, I have a middle name as well. Upon registeraion I came to Know that name on Bank account should be 100% same as on upwork..  

Can I edit my name same as mentioned above? As it will require ID verification and my CNIC is in Urdu Language.
I want to know, is it alright to keep my name as it is? Seeking guidance

Hi Ubaid,

If you need to update your name, please go to Settings  Contact Info to edit your name. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Avery,

I have changed my name in Upwork profile from Zeba Islam to Jahanara Begum. I can submit Passport, Bank statement and affidavit to change my name Zeba Islam to Jahanara Begum. I am applied to change my name in National Identity Card. It's on processing. It will take time. So, where I can submit my documents can you let me know ?

Regards

Hi Jahanara,

I checked and your name change was already approved. Could you please let us know how we can help you?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have changed my upwork profile name from my nick name to my real name to match the name on my bank account. I received a messag for ID verification. However, I only have a legal US working visa but I don't have a driver licence, state ID, US passport and greencard. When I registered I passed ID verification and video verification already. I have a Chinese passport which I used to register. Now after changing my upwork profile name I am not able to verify my ID using my Chinese passport. You should have verified my identity with my Chinese passport. Please help me to resolve the issue. Thanks

Hi Lanming,

I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
adilafzal_ansari
Community Member

I want to change my name to my company name. This is possible that I will change my name to my company name. If yes, please help me regarding this.

re: "I want to change my name to my company name. This is possible that I will change my name to my company name. If yes, please help me regarding this."

It is not Upwork's intention that you change your profile name to your company name.

The system is designed to block you from being able to withdraw your earnings if you do that.

Upwork wants to see these things all match:

- profile name

- name on payment withdrawal account (bank account/PayPal account/etc.)

- legal name on government-issued ID

Hi Adil,

While your Upwork account has to have your real, legal name on it and reflect only truthful information about yourself, you can include your company name in your profile and in your settings (under "Tax Information"), and use your company’s tax ID, as well.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths