🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to join the veterans group?
Page options
teresadilley
Community Member

US Military Vets Group

I had joined the US Military Veterans Group last year. Now it seems to have disappeared. I found a few jobs there. Does anyone know what is going on? That one is supposed to not be affected by the disbanding of other groups.

Thanks,

T.

62 REPLIES 62
petra_r
Community Member

Teresa D wrote:

I had joined the US Military Veterans Group last year. Now it seems to have disappeared. I found a few jobs there. Does anyone know what is going on? That one is supposed to not be affected by the disbanding of other groups.

Presumably it was discontinued.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Teresa,

The US Military Veteran's Group is still available on your profile and the clients will be able to add it as a preference to their job posts. You won't be able to search jobs posted in the group or view other members, however.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I used to be able to seach jobs posted in the group.  Why has that changed?  

Thanks,

T.

Hi Teresa,

We depreciated Upwork groups because of the lack of engagement as they weren't widely utilized and it did not make sense to adequate costs and resources to an area that wasn't used. This included cleaning up code across the site. The US Military Veterans group, however, is active and will continue to be available- but the search functionality was removed. As Valeria mentioned, the badge is still available on profiles and clients can still add this as a preference in their job posts. 

We are also looking into other ways the Veterans group can engage with each other, one option is creating a private board here in the Community for US Military Veterans group members. 

-Lena

Untitled

I am alos a vet, has UpWork found a way to make it so that my account is marked as such?

When looking at a job posting I noticed this- Members of: US Military Veterans - as one of the Preferred Qualifications. Being a VETERAN how do I qualify for this preference.

Thank you for your question, Michael. I've merged your post with a thread where Lena, our Community manager, explained the current status of the group.

Lena E. wrote:

We depreciated Upwork groups because of the lack of engagement as they weren't widely utilized and it did not make sense to adequate costs and resources to an area that wasn't used. This included cleaning up code across the site. The US Military Veterans group, however, is active and will continue to be available- but the search functionality was removed. As Valeria mentioned, the badge is still available on profiles and clients can still add this as a preference in their job posts. 

We are also looking into other ways the Veterans group can engage with each other, one option is creating a private board here in the Community for US Military Veterans group members. 

At the moment we don't have a way for new members to join the to the group but are actively working on a new solution. We'll definitely let interested freelancers know when that option is available. I have noted that you expressed your interest in joining the group. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello,

I, too, am a veteran of two branches of service and very proud. Is it possible to verify freelancers veteran status and once validated--provide a veteran badge of some sort (Armed Forces shield uncopyrighted) on our profile. This badge would be helpful for those seeking out veterans for work. What are your thoughts? Can you share this idea with the appropriate personnel or guide me to where I can share it? Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Thanks,

Angela

Navy/Army Vet

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angela, 

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with the Community. I'll go ahead and share this with the team for their consideration. 

~ Avery
Upwork

This is somewhat ironic. I've been a member of Upwork since 2015 and never heard of this group until I saw a job poster with a preference for those members of Veterans Group.
It seems to me if you only allow those that were already in the group to be members, you are providing an unfair advantage for them over Veterans like myself that should be allowed to join the group.
If Upwork no longer allows new members, the fair thing to do would to remove it as a selectable feature for job posters.
I'd be interested in joining the group, but would love to hear thoughts from someone at Upwork on the equality of opportunity for other Veterans to bid on jobs with an equal playing field.

Hi Michael, 

We understand how this is valuable to veterans like you and thank you for sharing your thoughts about this. As has been previously mentioned in this thread by several other moderators, we are unable to add new members to the group at the moment. However, we are actively working on a new solution. Once we have updates from the team regarding this concern, we'll make sure to announce it here in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I have to agree with you Michael W. I just found  great opportunity for me and for the organization seeking help but when went to turn in a proposal I got a message saying

You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria:

• Member of: US Military Veterans

My background is exactly what this individual is looking for, I served in the Illinois National Guard but I don't want to waste contacts if the person hiring will see I'm not a member of that group and dismiss me without reading my proposal. This seems like a highly unfair situation for many that cannot get that distinction of being a part of a group that others with the same status are apart of.

I am new to Upwork, and I am trying to find where I can apply to join the US Veteran's user group... and where does that show up on my profile? I am a Veteran, and I have also come across a job where the client is looking for a Veteran...

Thank you in advance. Cheers!

Hi Dustin,

We don't currently have an option to join the group but we're working on a solution. I'll note that you are interested and will reach out to you in the future when the option is available.

~ Joanne
Upwork
cc0aaebd
Community Member

ok thank you! 

Hello folks, I have been searching on how to join the veterans group here, as I am sending proposals and some do require being a member. I do state it on my profile as well as in my cover letter, however, I am sure that my submissions are sometimes overlooked from the beginning, as the client would see I do not meet that requirement. I dont wish to waste connects on these. Suggestions? 

Hi Mark Edward,

We don't currently have an option to join the group, but we're working on a solution. I have taken note that you are interested and we will reach out to you in the future when the option is available. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you
I appreciate the notation of my interest.

How does someone go about getting added to this group? (US Military Veterans Group)

Hi Phylicia,

We don't currently have an option to join the group but we're working on a solution. I'll note that you are interested and will reach out to you in the future when the option is available. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Valeria (et al at Upwork) - has anyone at Upwork Dev checked out ID.ME?  We veterans use that portal for many airlines and other large online vendors.  Their site does a quick cross-check and verifies veteran status instantly.  For what it's worth...  [a veteran and big customer of Upwork who would really really like to add the veteran badge to my profile... just sayin']

Can you please add me to that group or notify when you start adding folks again? I get a ton of business on other sites because I can list veteran status and would like to do so here as well.

sgooden1220
Community Member

Hello, Guys,

I recently found the US military Veterans group on upwork and I want to be a member of the group.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hello, Upwork Team!

Can you help me?

Hi Stephen,

I apologize for the late follow-up. While the US Military Veteran's Group is still available, currently there's no option to join the group. We are looking into different ways of identifying and adding freelancers to the Veteran's group and will update the information on our website once we enable this option.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

When and if that happens sometime hopefully in the near future, I'm throwing my name in the hat as an interested new member, thanks.!

Tim ❄ USAF "83-"91 :united_states:

Hi! I recently just joined upwork as a freelancer. Some job postings require to be member of US Military Veterans. How do I join? I have a VFW ID.

Hi Ethan,

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Any update on this? Thank you!

I remember last year there was a job post requiring membership in a Veterans group, but they wanted a little too much personal info so I skipped it.

I think upwork should just verify veterans status by reviewing the dd-214, just like they verify identity. Then you could just show it on your profile.

People have been asking about this group since 2017.  It seems like Upwork really doesn't care about this community of individuals as I would think it shouldn't take 3 years to find a solution.  Just my perspective and two cents, given nothing has been done here.

Hello Upwork,

I am a US Veteran and I feel an unfair advantage to be turned down for a job when others on here have that title and I do not! Please remove the others title of veterans preference or allow us to add that on ours. This is a legal offense and should be taken very seriously!

Could someone tell me how to join the veteran's group?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

At the moment we are unable to add new members to the group but are actively working on a new solution. We'll definitely let interested freelancers know when that option is available. I have noted that you expressed your interest in joining the group. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

It seems that since there's still an option to limit jobs to this group (US Military Veterans) That a solution would still exist for new members such as those above and myself to play an active role in the community with a preference for those who'd like to work with us.  

The transitioning community from the military is large and with so many moving into non-traditional work roles, it seems a community such as upwork would be executing a strategy to engage them better.

In any case, should such a solution become available, I too would like to be added to a "waiting list".

US Army Retired 

Please add myself to the list of Veterans wanting to be added to the US Military Veterans group.

I recently found a job post which I meet the criteria's and noticed a requirement of being in that group.

I was unaware of a group like that existed here in Upwork.

R/S,

Christian

Veteran, US Marine Corps

I would also like to be added to the wait list for this group.  I had no clue this group even existed until today when I was submitting a proposal for a job.

Will Ralph

US Army Veteran

I recently sent a proposal to a client and it came up that I am not qualified because I am not in this veterans group.  Since I can do nothing to fix this, I take it as a slap in the face, considering I spent 23 years in service and retired.

10 months later and this is still an issue.  I think our definitions of "Actively working" are very different.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths