🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I want to change my account name.
Page options
annu_110
Community Member

I want to change my account name.

Hello,

My account is too old and I was not active on Upwork. At the time of creation of this account I used my nick name (Annu Balti) and my account is verified at that time. But it's mismatch with my real name on my CNIC. My real name is "Anwer Abdul Rehman". 

I want to change my account name and username to according to my real name and my request of name change was refused. 

I greatly appreciate your  help regarding this issue.

Thanks

Anwer

5 REPLIES 5
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Annu,

Unfortunately you can't change your username.

To submit a name change request go to Settings > Contact Info and update your name. Please keep in mind that it can take up to 3 days for the name request to be reviewed. 
Once the review is completed our team will reach out to you with the results, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

@ Annu B --

Quote: "My account is too old and I was not active on Upwork. At the time of creation of this account I used my nick name (Annu Balti) and my account is verified at that time. But it's mismatch with my real name on my CNIC. My real name is "Anwer Abdul Rehman". "

You can surely understand why Upwork does not readily allow users to change their names. Some unscrupulous Upwork freelancers who do not use their accounts simply decide to sell the account[s] to someone new, who then wishes to change the account name to his or her own name.

You can easily understand why Upwork takes special care in a case such as yours, in which the nickname (Annu Balti) is composed of two entire names (unusual) and bears no apparent syntactical relationship to your "real" name (Anwer Abdul Rehman), as would be anticipated when a name is transmuted into a "nickname." Upwork would like to confirm that you are, indeed, the original freelancer in question, and not simply the purchaser of an old, un-used account.

It's a continuing mystery to me why freelancers open accounts with lengthy nicknames, and (more to the point) how these nicknames are a match with the freelancers' bank accounts.

Thank you for responding to my query. And I completely understand the difficulty and consequences. But in my case, My full name is Anwer Abdul Rehman. And my caste is Balti. So Anwer was shortened to Annu and we usually use our caste name with our names. So it became Annu Balti. 

My profile picture is too old. Plus I remember at that time I talked to one of your support team members on a video call to approve my account. I can provide all necessary documents and evidence to prove my identity plus I can make sure that my account is not being sold. and I was using the account in past and now I wanted to continue the freelancing career again. I used to have my social accounts and Email with my nick in the past. 

Kindly do let me know if there's any way I can correct my account name. My account is inactive so after the correction in my name, I can continue working on Upwork. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely 

Anwer AR

!000 kudos for Janean's comment.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Annu:

Nobody can see your username. Don't worry about it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths