🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I was offered a hangouts interview, then ...
Page options
d6f93949
Community Member

I was offered a hangouts interview, then the job got deleted - any advice?

Hi everyone,

I just signed up on Upwork, made a profile, applied to a few jobs. Today I get a message from this one job, saying they want to do a google hangouts interview. They give me a gmail address, but no details. Then, I get an email from Upwork, stating: "This job [same one] was not in compliance with our Terms of Service," and that it was deleted. At the same time, I get a notification on Upwork stating that my proposal to this job was declined.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret what happened there: it seems this job is a little sketchy. Is it common or appropriate that they would ask me to interview on hangouts? If I interviewed and worked with them, would that even show under my "work experience" on Upwork - given that the job was removed? And the notification that my proposal was "declined"  confuses me: is this because the job got deleted? Because the message from the client indicated they wanted an interview.

Sorry, I'm new to this and kind of intimidated. It's also the second job I applied to that got removed for this reason. This worries me because it's already so hard to get those first few jobs. Any advice on identifying and avoiding "sketchy" jobs?

Thank you for your help!

Laura Okkema

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Hangouts interviews almost always equal scams, and it seems someone else reported the job and it was taken down before you got interviewed.  That's a good thing. Your best bet if anyone asks to interview through Hangouts is to report the job with the link at the top right corner of the job post and walk away.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum that has links to articles on how to screen jobs for scams like this. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wescowley
Community Member

Hangouts interviews almost always equal scams, and it seems someone else reported the job and it was taken down before you got interviewed.  That's a good thing. Your best bet if anyone asks to interview through Hangouts is to report the job with the link at the top right corner of the job post and walk away.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum that has links to articles on how to screen jobs for scams like this. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths