🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I was scammed
Page options
89dcf82c
Community Member

I was scammed

I was scammed on Upwork. I had never used UpWork before so did not know how the process works. I was supposed to be working a proofreading/editing job for $30/hour. The people made me communicate with them via Skype messenger, and then sent me a check (which ended up being fake) to buy a computer to do the work on. I'm extremely upset and hope this can be avoided for others in the future. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kara,

I checked but couldn't find the job post you are referring to. Could you please send me a private message with more information so that I can check and send a report to our team for investigation?

Please note that taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

Additionally, you may want to check out this Community thread for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kara,

I checked but couldn't find the job post you are referring to. Could you please send me a private message with more information so that I can check and send a report to our team for investigation?

Please note that taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

Additionally, you may want to check out this Community thread for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Some people learn by reading instructions.

But MANY people learn by DOING.

There is NOTHING WRONG with learning by doing, as long as we are willing to take our lumps and learn from our mistakes.

Preston, 

There is no need to be rude. I am simply trying to make money and was taken advantage of. I'm sure there have been times when you, too, have made mistakes and did not wish people to act in an inappropriate manner because of your actions. This is no place to bring people down, I am simply trying to report a scam to UpWork and prevent the scammers from taking advantage of people in the future. I already feel extremely dumb from this incident and don't need a stranger making me feel worse. Kindly go take your "advice" to someone else. 

Kara: nobody here was being rude or criticizing you.

You should not feel dumb. Thousands of Upwork freelancers have had exactly the same experience that you did. It is a common way to start here.

alysegoody
Community Member

Did you break the rules by breaking TOS and then came onto the forum to complain about it? You do realize the fact you agreed to and accepted a cheque is cause for your account to be permanently suspended?

No, I did not realize. Can people please stop hating on me for this? I'm young and had never used UpWork before so did not know how it works. Again, please stop making me feel bad everyone, I messed up and people took advantage of me. 

lysis10
Community Member

Kara T wrote:

No, I did not realize. Can people please stop hating on me for this? I'm young and had never used UpWork before so did not know how it works. Again, please stop making me feel bad everyone, I messed up and people took advantage of me. 

ah ok, so at least you didn't buy someone in a far off land a new Merc. Some lady on here gave them $25,000 lmao

lysis10
Community Member

Kara T wrote:

I was scammed on Upwork. I had never used UpWork before so did not know how the process works. I was supposed to be working a proofreading/editing job for $30/hour. The people made me communicate with them via Skype messenger, and then sent me a check (which ended up being fake) to buy a computer to do the work on. I'm extremely upset and hope this can be avoided for others in the future. 

did you deposit it and send them money?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths