🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I would like to report a scammer **
Page options
mfsamba80
Community Member

I would like to report a scammer **

I answered a job listing from

**Edited for community guidelines**

.... see below.  He contacted me via email and asked for my cell number.

He claims to be an architect who is self employed, needs help with his webite, ordering materials, and is a bitcoin investor. Needs someone to keep records, speadsheets, receipts, etc. Quickly asked about my rate and stated that he would pay me outside of Upwork, which triggered my suspicions. Then asked if I have a bank account and credit card. Then asked how much debt I have, which I don't. I told him it's not relevant becasue I do not intend to use my amex to make purchases for his buisness. Stated he would be "providing me with his account number for me to make transfer of funds to my credit card for the purchase of equipment as instructed also I will be handling his funds regularly".  It sounds too much like the false shopping scam. 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Michael:

The scammer client you were talking to is not ACTUALLY named [the name that you specified in your post, before it was edited]. Scammers who ply this type of scam invariably use fake names.

But it IS GOOD that you want to report a scammer.

If you have not already done so, please use the "Flag as inappropriate" button/link located in the top-right-hand corner of the job posting page.

re: "I told him to..."

I understand that you were frustrated by this experience. But as a freelancer on Upwork, you must always use professional language. If you use vulgar language the likes of which I think you used, then you could have your own account suspended or terminated. Even if you were talking to a scammer.

Because you are so new, I am going to suggest that Upwork NOT sanction your account for this breach of Upwork ToS, as long as you understand what you did wrong and express contrition.

colettelewis
Community Member

Michael F wrote:

I answered a job listing from

.... see below.  He contacted me via email and asked for my cell number.

He claims to be an architect who is self employed, needs help with his webite, ordering materials, and is a bitcoin investor. Needs someone to keep records, speadsheets, receipts, etc. Quickly asked about my rate and stated that he would pay me outside of Upwork, which triggered my suspicions. Then asked if I have a bank account and credit card. Then asked how much debt I have, which I don't. I told him it's not relevant becasue I do not intend to use my amex to make purchases for his buisness. Stated he would be "providing me with his account number for me to make transfer of funds to my credit card for the purchase of equipment as instructed also I will be handling his funds regularly".  It sounds too much like the false shopping scam. 

These people are becoming ever more inventive! But it is a common scam. You should report the client to customer support or click on the "Flag as inappropriate" button under the green "Submit Proposal" button. 
And well done for dodging the bullet. 

I had one of those Microsoft scammers the other day (not on Upwork). It is amazing that it is still ongoing, so there must still be people falling for that one! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've escalated it to our team for further investigation!

Please, check this post for more information about how to recognize and avoid scam jobs.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths