🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I would like to take a class in Data Entry, o...
Page options
deediamond
Community Member

I would like to take a class in Data Entry, or Transciption before I do freelance work.

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to become a part-time freelance worker, but have been retired for 13 years and need to refresh my skills.  I would like to know if you give professional classes in Data Entry or Transciption so that I may become certified.  It would help me with getting hired.

Thank you so much.  If someone can call me at **Edited for Community Guidelines** or write me an e-mail at

**Edited for Community Guidelines** and advise me about this I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
JoanneP

Hi Darleen,

Upwork does not offer classes for data entry or transcription tasks. It would be best to get suggestions from your fellow freelancers so you can be guided accordingly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I would like to become a part-time freelance worker, but have been retired for 13 years and need to refresh my skills. I would like to know if you give professional classes in Data Entry or Transciption so that I may become certified. It would help me with getting hired."

No, don't bother.

There is no need for more people offering Data Entry or Transcription services.

And there is no need for you to take a class in order to for you to "learn" something so entry-level.

You would be better off either:

- learning to do something else; something for which the supply does not far exceed demand.

[or]

- applying your experience, skills and talents in the local, non-online community

sk-andaleeb
Community Member

Hi, Darleen, 

It is good to see your spirit. Of course, you can start working on data entry jobs, and for many beginner level jobs, you don't need a class. If you have been a typist, then you are already well along the way. 

The problem is that most beginner level jobs don't pay well. You live in the United States. I don't know about your expenses. If you can be content with $100-$300 per month, then this option will be good for you. I am talking about the beginner level jobs and first 1-2 months only. After that, you'll have a work history that will land you more clients. 

I suggest you gain knowledge by experience. Upwork doesn't offer formal classes, but you can search on Tube or educational sites to see how can you improve data entry skills. 

Upwork is an excellent website. If your niche is already crowded, it doesn't mean you cannot earn a living there. Slowly as you go,  create a niche for yourself. For example, you can be a technical data entry expert, or a medical data researcher or so on. When you carve a niche, your earnings will go higher, and I hope it will be a fulfilling career for you. Also, when you see a niche is crowded, that also means your service is in demand. I will encourage you to give it a try. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. 

Have a good day. 

kat303
Community Member

To be brutally honest let me give you some information. You don't need classes to become a data entry worker. In the Data Entry field you will be competing against hundreds of other workers. These worker will be submitting proposals for the lowest possible prices. The work will be boring and tedious. Many jobs are like, - Type up 150 pages of this book, Budget $5 fixed rate. Most of these clients will give you a hard time, find fault in your work, request endless edits/modifications, and will never be satisfied. They will also ask for additional work without payment for that. These jobs attract upwards of 100 or more freelancers within the first 1/2 hours (or less) of the job's posting. If this is what you want, then by all means go for it. 

Transcription jobs usually require special equipment, and software. IMO if you have that equipment and have a niche, a speciality, like transcribing legal files, or medical files then you might have better luck with that. With transcribing you'll also be competing with lots of freelancers and of those many have experience and years in the field. Some even may have certifications in transcription. This is not the place to brush up on skills, or learn skills, especially for jobs that require those skills. Clients come here an expect that the freelancer who they hire will have those skills and experience, They (clients) aren't here to hire a freelancer who is brushing up on anything. or learning a skills. 

For data entry jobs, you don't need any skills. For transcription, you do and perhaps a local college or technical center might be offering classes in transcription. You might want to look into that. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths