🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » ID card, email and WhatsApp number
Page options
ambitious_sonia
Community Member

ID card, email and WhatsApp number

Hello I'm new to upwork and i got a invite. The instructions say i have to provide my ID, WhatsApp number and gmail account. Is this allowed and is it safe?

**Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
shefen
Community Member

You are right to be suspicious. It could be innocent but might not be.

The request for a picture ID is the most alarming. I had someone ask for my ID and I told them Upwork had a copy and could confirm my identity. Providing a gmail email address is OK. As for the phone number, I try to avoid giving that out. I explain that I prefer instructions by email so I have a written record and also tell them that email to my gmail account pings my phone so I will see their messages even when I'm not at the computer.

I would push back on the ID and see how they respond. My client understood my concerns and we proceeded without me giving it to them.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Sonia: This is probably not a real job, but just a scammer who wants to steal your money and/or identify info.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sonia,

Please, be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. Clients may ask you for those but you can let them know that some information they request can't be shared for privacy reasons.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths