A contract being paused isn't going to affect your JSS by itself. However, contracts that have been inactive for a long time can have negative effect regardless of whether they are paused or not.
Can you elaborate on what duration of inactivity is considered as a long time in hourly contracts? I have a contract that has been inactive for about a month as the client is waiting for budget approval from their team.
Will it affect my JSS, and should I take any action for it?
Also, what is the length in case of fixed price contract? I got my JSS recently and it is surprisingly low at 75% despite having 5 completed jobs, 3 with 5-star rating and good review and 2 that are in progress on a good note. Though, when the JSS came, one of the fixed-price contract was inactive for about 3 months, as the client was out of his country. Can this be the reason?
Thanks for your help
We don't have the exact time frame for when a contract goes idle or dorman. But if a month went by, and you still don't have work available on this contract, you may ask the client to end it and leave you the appropriate feedback. The client has the option to rehire you easily when needed. If the client does not respond, you can close it yourself.
I'd just also like you to take note that a pattern of contracts without feedback, and idle contracts may affect your Job Success Score negatively.
Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window. You may read this help article to know how your Job Success Score is calculated.
Thank you for your kind reply Avery!
But I need a bit more help on this:
"But if a month went by, and you still don't have work available on this contract, you may ask the client to end it and leave you the appropriate feedback. The client has the option to rehire you easily when needed."
1. Are you suggesting to ask the client to end the contract and start a new one when work comes or is there an option to actually "pause" it?
2. Will a paused contract count as dormant?
3. Will the client be able to leave a review in case of paused contract?
4. Is there a different impact on the JSS if a client closes the contract as compared to a freelancer closing it?
I hope I'm not being too buggy!
1. Yes, this is one option for you not to have open contracts for too long, but I can`t advice you what is the best actions to take since I don`t know all of the details about this.
2. Contracts that have been inactive for a long time can have negative effect regardless of whether they are paused or not.
3. Clients and freelancers are only able to provide feedback on ended/closed contract.
4. No, this is not counted in your JSS. There`s a number of factors that are included in your JSS calculation like, the public and private feedback on your contracts, pattern of contracts with no feedback ect.
If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you!
YOU WORK HERE! How do you dont know how long is too long for an inactive contract to start afecting our JSS? Cant you ask someone that also works here?
We need a good JSS otherwise clients wont hire us. If we close a contract and we have no feedback it affects us, if we recieve bad feedback it affects us, if nothing happens it affects us, if contract is paused it affects us, if its idle it affects us.
Just be a decent human being and tell us how long does a contract needs to be unactive for it to affect our score. And if you dont know ASK.
I understand how this can be very frustrating, but please know that we are unable to share specific information how your Job Success Score is affected by the activity (or inactivity) on your contracts to prevent users from manipulating the system.
You may want to read up on this help article, where it shares information on how contracts with no earnings, and/or, no feedback can affect your Job Success Score.
I have one active contract since august 2019, Due to COVID-19 my client said to stop working as we are low on budget but he didn't pause the contract since may 2020.Inshort my time tracker is off since May 2020.
Please let me know if this will affect my JSS or not.?
Thanks in advance..