🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Identifying Scam Job Postings
Page options
misseddy0603
Community Member

Identifying Scam Job Postings

Hi all!

I'm new to Upwork and recently received a message from a client asking if I might be interested in submitting a proposal for their job posting. I checked it out and decided to submit a proposal, althought I was hesitant on whether the job was legitimate or not.

The client responsed to me the next day and explained the project they are working on and said they would like to "try out 2 hours of work first" to see my writing style, speed, and work out any kinks in the process. Using Covid-19 as an excuse, the client asked if I would lower my hourly rate to $1 in AUD (which I looked up and would mean I woud basically be working for free in USD). The client also promises a positive review for work submitted and support and training development for my profile.

Seems awfully sketchy to me, but I am not sure how Upwork screens clients/job postings (if at all). The client does have "verified payment" on their profile/job positing, so initially this made me feel somewhat comfortable with submitting a proposal.

Here is the job posting: https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01488c8921431c020a

Can anyone give me some advice on how to spot scams on Upwork? Is "verified payment" usually enough to say a job posting is legitimate?

Thanks in advance!

-Kayla 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can anyone give me some advice on how to spot scams on Upwork? Is 'verified payment' usually enough to say a job posting is legitimate?"

Actually.... a client that is payment-verified usually is NOT a scammer.

But a job can not be a scam yet still not be worth your time.

If this client is offering pay that is so low that the job is not worth your time, then politely decline the offer. Or state that you can do the project for $XX, and let the client decide if he wants to hire you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can anyone give me some advice on how to spot scams on Upwork? Is 'verified payment' usually enough to say a job posting is legitimate?"

Actually.... a client that is payment-verified usually is NOT a scammer.

But a job can not be a scam yet still not be worth your time.

If this client is offering pay that is so low that the job is not worth your time, then politely decline the offer. Or state that you can do the project for $XX, and let the client decide if he wants to hire you.

Thank you, Preston! That's what I needed to know 🙂 

re: "Seems awfully sketchy to me, but I am not sure how Upwork screens clients/job postings (if at all)."

Other than a few automated key word filters, clients and job postings are pretty much NOT screened.

Upwork relies on freelancers to report inappropriate clients and job postings, after which it will investigate and possibly remove them.

When you are new to the platform, legitimate invitations are few and far between.  Make sure your profile doesn't indicate that you are new so you can avoid these creeps in the future.Also, asking for free work is against the TOS.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kayla W wrote:

Hi all!

I'm new to Upwork and recently received a message from a client asking if I might be interested in submitting a proposal for their job posting. I checked it out and decided to submit a proposal, althought I was hesitant on whether the job was legitimate or not.

The client responsed to me the next day and explained the project they are working on and said they would like to "try out 2 hours of work first" to see my writing style, speed, and work out any kinks in the process. Using Covid-19 as an excuse, the client asked if I would lower my hourly rate to $1 in AUD (which I looked up and would mean I woud basically be working for free in USD). The client also promises a positive review for work submitted and support and training development for my profile.

Seems awfully sketchy to me, but I am not sure how Upwork screens clients/job postings (if at all). The client does have "verified payment" on their profile/job positing, so initially this made me feel somewhat comfortable with submitting a proposal.

Here is the job posting: https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01488c8921431c020a

Can anyone give me some advice on how to spot scams on Upwork? Is "verified payment" usually enough to say a job posting is legitimate?

Thanks in advance!

-Kayla 

I believe the minimum hourly rate is USD 3, so even if you agreed to this crazy rate, the system would not support it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths