🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification: Newly Married
Page options
anna_ac29
Community Member

Identity Verification

I have changed my surname from Maduro to Mangalus lately without knowing that it will still undergo Identity verification. My problems are:

1. I am newly married and my marriage certificate is still pending.
2. My valid IDs are still also not updated because it requires marriage certificate.
3. Proof of billing is also under my maiden name.

I also have a question? Can I request to the admin that my request for change of name be discarded and I will continue using my previous surname instead?

Can someone help me please?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna Cecilia,

Please follow up on the request our team sent you as soon as you have the new ID ready, in order to verify your identity. Also note that you need to use your legal name on your account and there's no way to cancel the ID verification request generated for your account. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna Cecilia,

Please follow up on the request our team sent you as soon as you have the new ID ready, in order to verify your identity. Also note that you need to use your legal name on your account and there's no way to cancel the ID verification request generated for your account. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Oh, I have spoken to a customer support just a few minutes ago. And I requested that my request for change of surname be cancelled and she said that my request for change of name had been cancelled. 

Hi Anna,

Please note that while the request has been cancelled, you'll still need to verify your identity as soon as possible, in order to comply with Upwork ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

So I will have to send my verification documents under my maiden name(original name registered in upwork)? or still my married name (requested change of name to upwork)?

My Maiden name is Anna Cecilia Maduro but recently I changed my surname without knowing that I have to undergo verification first before changing it by Upwork, my problems are:

1. I'm newly married, marriage certificate is still pending.

2. Requirements are valid ID's. All my valid ID's, including licenses and passport are not yet updated.

3. Proof of billing, not yet updated.

My question is, can I continue on Upwork using my maiden name and disregard my request for change of surname?

I think if you provide a proof of certificate of your marriage that includes your changed name , this should be okay with upwork!

Hi Anna,

Once your have the new ID ready, please update your profile name and provide the documents by using the link our team sent you earlier. Please note that it's important to keep your profile updated with the latest information in order to avoid possible difficulties in using your account.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you so much. 🙂

sarakolaci
Community Member

Hello! I changed my surname from Kolaci to Mingo. My bank account is still with Kolaci surname and i can't take my salary. The problem is that i have covid and i can't go to the bank to update my surname. I already have my marriage certeficate. Can you please help me where can i send it to verify it's the same person?

Hi Sara,

One of our team members reached out to you directly to assist with your account verification and name change. You should receive an email notification about their messages shortly. 
Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi there. I also have a problem regarding my identity verification. I do not have an ID with my married name, only maiden name. My bank details are under my married name. Please help

Hi Liezyl, 

A member of the team handling your account concern will reach out to you directly through an email support ticket to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths