Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity verification video call

blakemitchell55
Ace Contributor
Blake M Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
1 of 3

Okay,

I am having a problem with the system telling me I need to conduct an Identification verification video call or my account may be restricted. I have no idea why it is telling me this.

I have no video camera and when I tried to contact an agent to find out more, a message came up, and then whipped by so fast I couldn't read it. I am at a loss as I really don't know what to do in this situation. I had not planned to use a video camera at all, for working on projects, unless it was absolutely necessary and hence, I don't have one. I don't understand why a video call is necessary simply to verify identity. I also don't know what to do in this case.

Blake M.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 3

Blake:

Don't worry!

I can assure you that you DO NOT need to own a video camera to work on Upwork. You don't need one to do jobs for clients. Most of my clients have NEVER had any kind of video chat with me. Most of them communicate with me via Upwork messaging only, and sometimes by email.

You do NOT need to get a video camera in order to verify your identity. There are alternatives. The simplest alternative is just to use a computer which does have a video camera attached to it, whether a USB-connected video camera, or a built-in video camera in a laptop computer. Upwork does not care where you do your video confirmation at. You can borrow somebody else's computer, go to a library, an internet cafe, an office... anything will work.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 3

Besides what Preston wrote, you *may* be able to verify identity with a smartphone, if you have one.