cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a client accepts my offer does that mean he's agreeing to pay my price?

elodieoc
Elodie O Member Since: May 5, 2017
1 of 12

Hello!

I've just had my first "offer" and am a little confused about what accepting it means. 

I bid for a certain price, the client accepted my bid, and the price still appears as is in the offer (which I've now accepted) - but the client also created a milestone of $ as a test. Can the client then turn around and offer me a smaller amount for the whole project than the one I bid?

Anwers very much appreciated!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

@Elodie O wrote:

Can the client then turn around and offer me a smaller amount for the whole project than the one I bid?

Yes, and you can, and should, decline it. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 12

Ditto to what Rene stated. And to add, I should think it would benefit Upwork to mention that freelancers are only paid what is funded in a first milestone; that especially with a new client, you should ask that the first milestone be fully funded with your bid amount.

@Rene K wrote:

@Elodie O wrote:

Can the client then turn around and offer me a smaller amount for the whole project than the one I bid?

Yes, and you can, and should, decline it. 

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
4 of 12

@ Elodie:  It appears that you have much to learn before becoming a Freelancer on Upwork.  A great place to start is by reviewing Moderator Vladimir's post at the very beginning of "New to Upwork."  Here's the link:    https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214.

elodieoc
5 of 12

@Pat, thanks for your reply. I've read lots of these posts and haven't found an answer to my question. It seems as if the original bid amount becomes somewhat academic if the client can just accept my bid whilst proposing smaller milestones – without addressing the issue of whether they're going to pay the project price. Am I missing something?

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 12

Elodie, you should not have accepted until the price you both agreed on was actually stated in the offer.  The Client also creating a milestone as a test is suspicious.  As Rene alluded to---run!

elodieoc
7 of 12

Thanks for talking about this with me! I totally understand why you see red flags - I'm feeling them too! - it's just weird as I have the Contract with the fixed price I bid for "agreed". That's all that's making me stay to see what happens... I should add that the sample milestone is funded, so I will get that, although it's very little money. 

If they're not going to pay for the whole project, what are they going to do next?  

elodieoc
8 of 12

(and I do definitely take your point that discussing the price more clearly in future is necessary - I guess that's the same as in real life... I just find the term 'contract' misleading if you can just change the price and back out of it.)

tonycroesus
Tony E Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
9 of 12

Hi Elodie,

I noticed that your experience is similar to a recent one I had, so I decided to respond.

I had a client who after a discussion on how to carry out his job, deposited in Escrow an amount he stated as 'test amount'. I declined the job.

I could understand the client's apprehension. Earlier, he had explained to me that he had not hired anyone not proven in the category he was hiring me. I understandingly suggested he select a portion of the job he could comfortably pay for, and he felt I could handle, at no cost to him. Then he deposit the agreed upon amount for that portion in escrow, and I would undertake to work on just that portion.

He's finally deposited the rest of the full amount in Escrow, for me to carry to carry out the rest of the job.

The key here, I think, is to discuss, cooperatively, to work out an arrangement that would be beneficial to both parties. I do try to work with each client, handling them like their situation is unique, and thus understand their cares and concerns, while seeking for means to help them achieve their goals (hopefully, through hiring meSmiley Wink)

Hope this helps!

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 12

My best friend attended Edinburgh.

Are you ghostwriting fiction?

I'd be very specific in the writing category.

Just as a heads up, decent paying fiction is EXTREMELY difficult to come by on Upwork.

Not IMPOSSIBLE, but the odds aren't in the favor of talented writers in that particular writing genre.