🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » If a job is closed, does that mean the client...
Page options
victoriacaminiti
Community Member

If a job is closed, does that mean the client is unable to work with me?

Hi all,

I am new to UpWork and submitted a proposal for a freelance job. The client messaged me and asked me to submit a short writing assessment to ensure it met brand standards. I submitted the sample writing assessment via messages as discussed, but now noticed that the proposal has moved from "active" to "archived" and says that the job is closed. Does this mean the client is not moving forward with me? Did I do this sample writing for nothing? Any help on this would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Victoria,

Requesting free services is a TOS violation. It's important to note that you should never start working on the task the client is hiring for without an active contract, which would show in your My Jobs page.

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Oh no! Thank you for letting me know. I have since deleted the message with
the pdf that I sent. Is there any way to ensure that the person does not
use my work? Can I receive connects back?

Victoria,

I checked and it looks like your Connects have already been returned. You can check this by going to your Reports > Connects history. We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

You can check out this section of the Terms of Service for information about Work Product:
6.4 OWNERSHIP OF WORK PRODUCT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths