cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im new and don't know what to do?

Sharon H Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
1 of 4

I have received an invitation for interview, but when I go into proposals and try to accept or decline, it only comes up with 1 active candidacy, but in the section with invitation to interview it shows 0 (zero).  So I am unable to accept or respond.

What does come up in the message section is how to contact by setting up an yahoo IM account or google hang out and the time to contact if still interested, but not how to accept or decline.  In fact when I tried to ask a question, it came back to the UPWork site.  

I checked out the company, it seemed reputable, but I have gone through unsuccessfully before.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 4

This invitation is a scam!!!  They will ask you to do that and then offer to send you a check (against ToS) for equipment.  If you look at the top of this forum you will see a "Job Warning Signs" thread.  Please read it as it will help you get familiar with the most common scams which you will get a lot of since you are new.

Hang in there. Once you get a couple of projects under your belt, these will pretty much quit.

If you have any questions please come back and ask. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 4

If a client mentions Google Hangouts, it's a scam. That's where all the scammers are and where they direct you to because Upwork can't monitor any communication that goes on there.

As for checking out a company, there is NO need to do that. It's easy for someone to say they work XXX and if y ou google that company's name, it does exist. Try it.... I work for Sandvik Steel in the U.S. If you google that, the company does exist. But I don't work for it.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 4

Hi Sharon,

It looks like Kathy and Katrina have already given you some good advice about avoiding questionable jobs. You can learn more from this post.

We'll have the team review the job you are referring to and take appropriate actions as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS