» Forums » New to Upwork » questions.
Page options
suelen-amorim
Community Member

questions.

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Suelen,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of behaviour in the marketplace. I checked and can confirm the job and client you're referring to have been actioned against for Terms of Service violations. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service. 

We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Suelen A wrote:
I'm new to upwork. After applying to this company, i did 2 interviews through upwork chat and the 3rd and final was asked to be done on Skype.
Some questions were very inappropriate and i was very uncomfortable.
I was asked how much my previous employer was paying me and what my husband do for living. (??)
Is that even legal to be asked?

It may be against the law in some countries in the context of employment. This is not employment. It is also not against the law (in whatever country) to talk to a potential client outside of upwork, but it's against the terms of service of upwork. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths