🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Incorrect Profile information
Page options
mcdonaldjones
Community Member

Incorrect Profile information

I've just clicked to submit a proposal, to be told: 'You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria: EnglishLevel: NATIVE'. As a native English speaker, this is concerning (as well as 100% incorrect); however, UpWork seems to have no mechanism by which I can point this out to them?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Ian M wrote:

I've just clicked to submit a proposal, to be told: 'You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria: EnglishLevel: NATIVE'. As a native English speaker, this is concerning (as well as 100% incorrect); however, UpWork seems to have no mechanism by which I can point this out to them?

How about you set your English level to native then? It is currently set to "fluent"

You don't need any "mechanism" to point it out to Upwork, just go to your profile, hover your mouse near the English proficiency setting and edit it.

Thanks; I hadn't realized that there was a category beyond 'Fluent'. Is there any way of asking questions about a job before submitting a proposal? The copy-ediitng jobs offered rarely give word-counts, which is actually the main method by which editors work out their prices.

Ian M wrote:

Is there any way of asking questions about a job before submitting a proposal? The copy-ediitng jobs offered rarely give word-counts, which is actually the main method by which editors work out their prices.

No, there isn't, and this is something that I've been complaining about for the past 19 years (first on Elance, then on Upwork). You'd think that it wouldn't be that hard to have a fill-in-the blank space that says, "How many pages is your brochure? / How many slides is your PowerPoint presentation? / What's the word count for your copyediting job?" Or whatever. 

The only thing that you can do is put something in your proposal like, "I've placed a bid that's in line with your budget; however, you haven't mentioned the word count for your project. If you're interested in my proposal, could you please contact me to discuss further?" But, don't be surprised if the client doesn't contact you, because in the meantime, they will have received at least 30 other bids from freelancers who are perfectly happy to do an unlimited amount of work for whatever price is being offered.

Your other option is to use the "Flag as inappropriate link" and select the reason "There's no clear, defined deliverable". I don't think that Upwork will actually remove the project, but perhaps if they get enough complaints of this nature, they might do something about it. 

Many thanks; very helpful.

Ian
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths