🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Increased chances of getting Hired
Page options
david_babu
Community Member

Increased chances of getting Hired

I have three active proposals on upwork. Am still not yet hired. competencies are : Paralegal, Certified Professional Mediator. Marketing and project management etc. I have just set up my payment method on upwork. Does it increase my chances of getting hired? Is there any other way of increasing my chances of getting Hired? Can anyone volunteer to mentor me in upwork? Attached is one of my Resume. Comment on it kindly?
14 REPLIES 14
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

Welcome to Upwork! It often takes 5 or more proposals to win your first contract. Persistence is key. I have reviewed your profile and have some suggestions for improvement:

• The first sentence of your profile overview is written in the third person. Consider revising it to first person in order to make a more direct connect with clients and to match the rest of the overview.
  • You only have 4 skill tags, but are allowed up to 10. Add additional skill tags to showcase your expertise & help you show up in relevant search results. Based on my understanding of your business, a few great ones to add might be skills.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way, you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list.

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Dear Elance. Hope you are doing well
Thank you for your professional advice.
I will take heed of your advice.
Thank you
David Babu Ndirangu

David, I am a US paralegal with 27 years experience, 8 on Upwork, and I can tell you the jobs are few and far between.  Many clients think a paralegal is a cheap lawyer and want legal advice, which is illegal in the US. I would concentrate more on your other skills.

Also, you have a misspelled word in the beginning of your profile which should be fixed.

Hi Mike .
Can use review my profile .
And suggest me what can I do to improve my profile
I have submitted around 60 proposal but I am not getting any response

Md Ismall H wrote:
Hi Mike .
Can use review my profile .
And suggest me what can I do to improve my profile
I have submitted around 60 proposal but I am not getting any response

You begin every sentence with "I", that is not very appealing. Focus more on the potential client and what you can do for them. 

Hello Martina P
please review my profile.
and suggest me how can i improve my profile more.

I have completed 4works, but after that I have submitted around 40 proposal but not getting any response. 😞

Md. S wrote:

Hello Martina P
please review my profile.
and suggest me how can i improve my profile more.

I have completed 4works, but after that I have submitted around 40 proposal but not getting any response. 😞

Make it more personal. You just list some skills. Adress the client directly, as in: Do you need eye-catching flyers for your business?

Hello Martina,
I am very new in this platform and from the last week trying to make my profile professional. I have added certifications, overviews, what history and attractive portfolio. Can you please review my profile that is good enough or I need to think about to change something?

MD Billal H wrote:
Hello Martina,
I am very new in this platform and from the last week trying to make my profile professional. I have added certifications, overviews, what history and attractive portfolio. Can you please review my profile that is good enough or I need to think about to change something?

Looks really good! I personally don't care much about that camouflage shirt, but that's a personal preference. I guess I'd like to see a casual dress shirt which looks a bit more professional. Doesn't have to be suit and tie as in your profile pic, just a bit dressier than a casual t-shirt. 

Thank you so much for your kind response. You are right about the dress-up. I will keep it in mind. 

MD Billal H wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind response. You are right about the dress-up. I will keep it in mind. 

Did you add your availability 24/7 later or did I overlook it? Take that out. No serious freelancer pretends he never sleeps, it's unprofessional.

All right. Noted. I already removed it.  You are so kind

Hello Martina,
I am very new in this platform and from the last week trying to make my profile professional.Can you please review my profile?

hy am also looking for work ? can you please sujest me something

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths