🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Insurance question
Page options
f16a95b8
Community Member

Insurance question

Will this be like a "normal" hire? Am I responsible to insure the freelancer? Or are the freelancers self-employed and I only have to pay their bill, which means the freelancers taking care of their insurances and retirement provisions? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Will this be like a 'normal' hire?"

No. Not at all.

You don't even need to think of this as "hiring" someone.

You can think of this as your business contracting with a small business to provide you with a service or product that you need.

re: "Am I responsible to insure the freelancer?"

No.

re: "Or are the freelancers self-employed and I only have to pay their bill, which means the freelancers taking care of their insurances and retirement provisions?"

You only pay the freelancer's fee or bill.

Have you ever hired a plumber to fix a pipe in your home? Did you pay for the plumber's insurance? (Hint: No, you did not.)

Have you ever hired an attorney, or a gardener, or a neighborhood kid to mow your lawn?

Did you pay anything extra for these people's health insurance?

(Hint: No. You just paid their bill.)

m_sharman
Community Member

You are paying an independent contractor, this is not an employee.  This means you are not required to pay insurance or other fees on their behalf, however it also means they have flexibility to set their own schedule and rates.

I am speaking as a US Based freelancer, I can't speak for other countries, I suggest you consult your local business rules and regulations. 

Thank you a lot for this fast and helpful answer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths