🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Interaction Outside Upwork
Page options
brandon-miles
Community Member

Interaction Outside Upwork

I have a client who I have done a couple of projects with entirely through Upwork. Now they are asking me about doing another project-except this time I'm being asked if have a Paypal account to use for payment. I'm not sure if this means they want to work entirely outside Upwork or not. Here's what I need to know:

-Is this allowed? My understanding of the terms and conditions is that it's not allowed to have a contract on Upwork and arrange payment outside of it. If we were to make an arrangement where Upwork wasn't involved at all, is that allowed? 

-If none of the above is allowed, do I report this employer? Where do I report him/her? 

-Is there a way to link my profile to Paypal? 

Thanks in advance, 

Brandon

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Users can be suspended simply for having a conversation like the one you are describing.

You are not allowed to accept payments directly from a client.

You are not allowed to arrange a contract outside of Upwork with this client.

You are not required to report this client, although you may do so.

If it was me, I would say: "Don't worry about that. We will just do all payments through Upwork."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Users can be suspended simply for having a conversation like the one you are describing.

You are not allowed to accept payments directly from a client.

You are not allowed to arrange a contract outside of Upwork with this client.

You are not required to report this client, although you may do so.

If it was me, I would say: "Don't worry about that. We will just do all payments through Upwork."

The last three interested clients all got my profile from Upwork but wanted to chat outside platforms. I reported 1, Upwork got the other 2. I am beyond disappointed with these people. I am wasting my time and points on these cheats.
2209ccc8
Community Member

This answered my first question about my first client. My second client sent me a DropBox video link via the UpWork messenger. Is that link allowed as long as everything else goes through the UpWork platform?

data_divas
Community Member

Yes Ben as long as you have a contract with the client on Upwork you can communicate and send files any way you like. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths