🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Interview Invite Scam?
Page options
tbrown1025
Community Member

Interview Invite Scam?

I'm realtively new to Upwork I have received invites from 3 different clients with this similar wording:
Dear Applicant,
(.....) has reviewed your resume in reference to our AD, We are pleased to invite you to an online position interview\briefing exercise. Your details has been forwarded to (.....) (Hiring Manager). He would be conducting an online interview with you to discuss the Job Details, Descriptions, Pay Scale and Benefits, etc.
You are to set up a screen name on Telegram App and add up him up, with this link (link removed)You can download Telegram and set up a free account if you dont have. He is online waiting for you.
Your Work Code: (.....) this would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. Your timely response matters a lot, this is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.
Interview Scheduled: Online. Time: ASAP
Venue: Online Via Telegram Training is Available

Your swift and timely response matters a lot in this beneficial position...

Now since I've received this type of message a few times and almsot immediately after submitting a proposal, I assume this is likely a scam of some sort? Thoughts. Are these opportunities viable?

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

It's a scam - a variant of the Google Hangouts scam.  The red-flag words are "pay-scale" and "benefits".

Refuse the invites and flag the jobs from the "inappropriate" menu.  You will probably find that Upwork has already delisted them. . 

Thank you. I assumed as much. Is there anything I should be looking for in the original listing prior the submitting a proposal in order to save my time and my connects?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tasha,

Thanks for flagging this to us. I've checked and actions have already been taken on clients' accounts. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Tasha B wrote:

Thank you. I assumed as much. Is there anything I should be looking for in the original listing prior the submitting a proposal in order to save my time and my connects?

It's difficult, but to begin with, avoid any of the online meeting places, and if the client offers you "pay-scale" and "benefits", there is no such thing in freelancing - or at least not in the same way as in the

B & M world. Anyone who behaves like a second-rate "employer" is suspect.

As a freelancer you are hired to do a specific job, but you set the rates and you decide how long you will work for. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths