🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Interview Protocol Help!
Page options
torit89
Community Member

Interview Protocol Help!

I keep getting interview requests to be conducted on Google Hangouts. Is this normal? I cannot find anything on Upwork Help Center for proper protocol.

I thought it was normal on the first one, so I did it. Then I got an email from Upwork saying that the job was removed because it violated the User End Agreement. I researched the company a little more, and I found that the company was part of a scam. I immediately cut ties with the company and moved on. I am new to Upwork, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of this freelancing thing!

6 REPLIES 6
rverang
Community Member

@Tori T wrote:

I keep getting interview requests to be conducted on Google Hangouts. Is this normal? I cannot find anything on Upwork Help Center for proper protocol.

I thought it was normal on the first one, so I did it. Then I got an email from Upwork saying that the job was removed because it violated the User End Agreement. I researched the company a little more, and I found that the company was part of a scam. I immediately cut ties with the company and moved on. I am new to Upwork, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of this freelancing thing!

From what I've been reading, 99% of jobs requiring Google Hangout interviews are scams. They usually target freelancers who are new on this platform.

michael_skaggs
Community Member

Google Hangouts "interview" = SCAM

There's plenty of other scam indicators, but I'll wait for Petra to chime in with her handy little chart. It explains things much more clearly than I could.

kat303
Community Member

@Tori T wrote:

Since you are a newbie, I STRONLY suggest that you read all the information in the post above, (including the information in all of the links) "Getting Started on Upwork." Next, search this forum and the Freelancer forum for SCAMS. You will find pages and pages of them. They are the same ones over and over. So, before you look for any more jobs, acquaint yourself to the scams going around here.

If you are receiving interviews for jobs you have Not sent proposals to, they are scams.

ANY mention of Google Hangout is a scam.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Tori T wrote:

Especially data entry profiles. Read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I keep getting interview requests to be conducted on Google Hangouts. Is this normal?"

For scammers, yes this is normal.

For real, paying clients, no. They don't use this for interviews.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tori, 

Since you're still quite new to Upwork, I would suggest that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled here to help you get started. Pay close attention to the tips in the Safety First! section, and the link that Virginia included on her post, to know how you can work safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths