🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Interviewed and client offered to draw up...
Page options
lwlamona
Community Member

Interviewed and client offered to draw up a contract and then no more messages the following week.

I am new to Upwork and have submitted several proposals.  One proposal was reviewed and interview followed.  Based on the interview, the client was going to send information following our chat and draw up a contract. I received another message basically saying they were completing a deadline for another project and would send information over the next few days.  So far nothing.

I sent a message in the middle of last week just saying I was just following up on the status of the project we discussed.  No response.  Do I do another follow-up message?  Is one inquiry enough? 

I am disappointed as I had hoped this would be the first breakthrough in providing freelance work.  Just learning my way and thought I would ask for advice from this the community.  Thanks for the feedback.

4 REPLIES 4
hoyle_editing
Community Member

I would assume that the client is either busy or things have changed so just not interested anymore - I wouldnt personally message again if you have already followed up once as the client either has seen your message and ignored it OR hasnt seen it yet so will get it when they next log in i guess.

Dont let it put you off. There is a lot of this kind of thing, but you get used to it and learn to move onto the next one 🙂

florydev
Community Member

I probably wouldn’t for a week but in this situation I definitely would keep hitting them up until they respond or I get tired of it. It’s one thing to follow up after an meeting it’s quite another when they say they are drawing a contract.

I would also say it may just not happen and that sucks but it happens. The important thing to remember is that you are not beholden to any client, keep seeking and you will find.
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I do another follow-up message? Is one inquiry enough?"

Send another follow-up message?

No.

Is one inquiry enough?

That's one more than I send.

It is NOT DIFFICULT for clients to find me here on Upwork. If a client has responded to a proposal I sent, or if a client sent me an interview request that I accepted... then the client has a "room" in the Upwork Messages tool where they can easily contact me.

If a client is not ready to work with me, then that's fine. When they're ready, they know where to find me.

I have had clients say they would get back to me in a week... and then they don't actually get back to me until a month later. Even more.

Sometimes clients say they'll get back to me, and they never do. I'm not thinking about them. I'm not reserving time for them.

What's the worst that could happen? A cient says she wants to work with me, and then disappears... And shows up weeks later... and I'm really busy. I would just tell her I'm busy and she'll have to wait until my current work is done if she wants a lot of my time. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't have an active contract with her. So it's not like she can do anything to me to "retaliate." And in real life, clients are going to understand. If I'm genuinely too bus for a client, then they'll either wait until I have time for them, or they'll work with somebody else.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Linda L wrote:

I am new to Upwork and have submitted several proposals.  One proposal was reviewed and interview followed.  Based on the interview, the client was going to send information following our chat and draw up a contract. I received another message basically saying they were completing a deadline for another project and would send information over the next few days.  So far nothing.

I sent a message in the middle of last week just saying I was just following up on the status of the project we discussed.  No response.  Do I do another follow-up message?  Is one inquiry enough? 

I am disappointed as I had hoped this would be the first breakthrough in providing freelance work.  Just learning my way and thought I would ask for advice from this the community.  Thanks for the feedback.

Drawing up a contract? Red flag for me. Upwork does not require you or the client to draw up contract, as soon as you hit the "accept" button when you receive an offer, you have a contract. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths