🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Interviews and payment rules
Page options
c47638cc
Community Member

Interviews and payment rules

I'm new to Upwork and have been invited to a couple interviews. The clients wanted to interview outside of the platform. One wanted to interview me by text only over Telegram and pay me by direct deposit or paycheck. 

What are the rules around these things?

Thanks,

Liz

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm new to Upwork and have been invited to a couple interviews. The clients wanted to interview outside of the platform."

If you are caught doing that, you could be suspended. That is a violation of Upwork ToS. And clients who ask to do so are typically scammers. They're trying to steal money from your bank account. So there's no money in it.

re: "One wanted to interview me by text only over Telegram"

Freelancers are required to communicate only using Upwork Messages until an official Upwork contract is in place. Not Telegram. And not anything else.

re: "and pay me by direct deposit or paycheck."

That is a serious violation of Upwork ToS.

If you are caught getting involved with that, you could have your Upwork account suspended or terminated permanently.

Also: These scammers send fake checks, which they use to steal money out of your bank account. Their typical initial target is to steal about $3000 from you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Liz,

Please note that it is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
memelthami
Community Member

It's against Upwork's rules, and clients who ask for payment outside Upwork are usually scammers.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Freelancers don't receive legit invitations without a job history. Decline those. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths