🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Invitations Appear Legit But...
Page options
jeffspeaks
Community Member

Invitations Appear Legit But...

I have received several "invitations" from what appears to Upwork but when I attempt to follow up, even within 1/2 hour, the "jobs" have been removed. I have attached a PDF of the email that contains a text only version to allow technical examination. My main questions here are; is this specific email legit and, if not, how will I know a legit invitation if it is offered? Thanks

P.S. I just received notification of "Rising Star" status that mentions special help and support as a benefit. How is such support accessed? Thanks again

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for flagging this job to us and providing additional details about it. I've checked, and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of the Upwork TOS, and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

You can access your support options by clicking "Get Help" on this page.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gaspardjack
Community Member

It's a scam.

Red Flags: Google Hangout, Recruting Team, waiting for you online.

You will rarely get any viable invitation as a newcommer.

You can find resources for new freelancers here:

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Getting Started on Upwork

Freelancing Resources

ETA: Upwork help: https://support.upwork.com

Well then, "Houston we have a problem...". The email I use on Upwork is the email I use only on several other voice over job sites and was setup for that very purpose and is not used otherwise. I am not receiving scam emails from the other job sites. How do they get that email and how do they know to send a message disguised as an Upwork invitation? Perhaps there is a security issue on Upwork?

Jeff J wrote:

Well then, "Houston we have a problem...". The email I use on Upwork is the email I use only on several other voice over job sites and was setup for that very purpose and is not used otherwise. I am not receiving scam emails from the other job sites. How do they get that email and how do they know to send a message disguised as an Upwork invitation? Perhaps there is a security issue on Upwork?

You said the job had been taken down, so there was a job posting on upwork, and the client invited you via upwork. Nothing wrong with that, that is normal procedure. 

They don't have access to your email, the scam is through Upwork invitation, they post a fake job on Upwork to be able to send you the invitation. When the job post is reported, it is removed by Upwork.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jeff J wrote:

I have received several "invitations" from what appears to Upwork but when I attempt to follow up, even within 1/2 hour, the "jobs" have been removed. I have attached a PDF of the email that contains a text only version to allow technical examination. My main questions here are; is this specific email legit and, if not, how will I know a legit invitation if it is offered? Thanks

P.S. I just received notification of "Rising Star" status that mentions special help and support as a benefit. How is such support accessed? Thanks again

If the jobs have been removed, it most likely was a scam. A newbie without a good upwork history will seldom receive invitations that are legit.

You know they are legit if the client does NOT mention: an interview on google hangouts, a hiring manager, a check being sent to your for equipment, an employment contract for longtime employment, payment outside of upwork. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for flagging this job to us and providing additional details about it. I've checked, and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of the Upwork TOS, and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

You can access your support options by clicking "Get Help" on this page.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths