🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Invoices in French; Taxes for a U.S. citizen ...
Page options
kyle-kavanaugh
Community Member

Invoices in French; Taxes for a U.S. citizen living abroad

Hello all. I am a freelancer living in France and will be working with some French clients. To maintain my residency, I will need to provide proof of my work and income. Can Upwork invoices be provided in other languages (in this case French)? I'm disappointed that Upwork is not offered in other languages.  It makes it difficult for non-English speakers 

I am also aware that even though I do not live in the U.S., I will still have to file taxes there. Do I have any documents or applications to do? Must I submit a W-9?

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kyle,

Unfortunately, we don't provide invoices in languages other than English since English is the official language of the site. You can, however, look into having the invoices you download from Upwork translated if needed. 

In the W-8BEN under your Settings> Tax Info you can enter your first and last name as it appears in your official documents. The W-8BEN form is used to confirm you're not a US taxpayer.

If you have questions about reporting your Upwork income, we recommend talking to your local tax or legal adviser.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Kyle, 

Unfortunately, we are unable to give advice regarding your concern. Please consult with a local tax advisor so that you can be assisted further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths