🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Is $0.1/word too much to ask?
Page options
58feaef8
Community Member

Is $0.1/word too much to ask?

After telling a client I would charge $0.1/word for English to Chinese translation for her incoming ceremony, she immediately closed the job, created a new one, and is now asking freelancers to bid on a $0.02/word task. So many freelancers are bidding on it. Perhaps it's my mistake to inform her of my cost, even educating her to create a milestone instead of hourly to save money. I simply feel like a fool now. 🤢
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Put it down to a bad experience, and move on.  I misread your post. Sorry!  I think $0.10 per word is far too low , so is $0.02.  With your background, you should be charging a minimum of $0.05 a word, is the right sort of rate.   But I charge less for long texts (or constant work) and higher rates for shorter texts.  However, one does have to go with the market value up to a point, particularly on Upwork, but don't undersell yourself.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
colettelewis
Community Member

Put it down to a bad experience, and move on.  I misread your post. Sorry!  I think $0.10 per word is far too low , so is $0.02.  With your background, you should be charging a minimum of $0.05 a word, is the right sort of rate.   But I charge less for long texts (or constant work) and higher rates for shorter texts.  However, one does have to go with the market value up to a point, particularly on Upwork, but don't undersell yourself.

Thank you very much, Nichola. After reading so many glamorous articles and interviews about this client, and how she encourages women to become leaders and be bold. I wanted to help this successful entrepreneur/investor/women's advocate. But her message was blunt and rude at the beginning. She was paying other freelancers $5/hour, if Upwork doesn't set a limit, she might even just pay $1/hour. "How wicked!" I was telling myself. Now I have gained a brand new perspective on life, about wealth, fame, and integrity. Might have dodged a bullet as well. Thank you for helping! 🤗

Hi Yi,

I ran across a similar type of client a few years ago. She asked me for all sorts of information and then proceeded to hire a guy with a lower rate. Sometimes the empowerment part is more of an ideal than a practice.

I am so sorry, dear Renata. To some people, life is just a little game. They can't help but must use or manipulate others.  Perhaps that is why she was nominated for 40 under 40 awards--for becoming a master manipulator. I can't even imagine working for or with people like them...I call them soul crushers. 

Please take care, dear Renanta. Thank you so much for being here. 

Do you think that a kind and honest person can be successful (rich and glamorous)? Most get rich at the expense of others by hiring them for a cents per hour. 🤗

Very true. I have learned my lesson. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths