🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is It Normal To Fill Out A Google Application...
Page options
mzbick
Community Member

Is It Normal To Fill Out A Google Application OFF of Upwork???

I just got my first Proposal Response. YAY... BUT they asked me to fill out a Google Appolication asking me the EXACT same questions they asked on Upwork. Which I answered in my first proposal to them. 

Seems a bit redundant to answer these questions again, and I don't really feel like I should need to apply again OFF of Upwork... 

This also seems like they have not read my initial proposal. 

Does this seem fishy? Should I report them as innappropriate?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Erin 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
m_sharman
Community Member

That is unusual and as  new freelancer you are vulnerable to scams.

Are they requesting any personal details or a Google hangout?  Do they have a hiring history? As long as you keep all contracts and payments on the Upwork platform, you are protected.

That said, if it smells "off" it probably is.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
m_sharman
Community Member

That is unusual and as  new freelancer you are vulnerable to scams.

Are they requesting any personal details or a Google hangout?  Do they have a hiring history? As long as you keep all contracts and payments on the Upwork platform, you are protected.

That said, if it smells "off" it probably is.

It IS unusual.

However:

Nothing you have said proves that it is a scam.

Could just be one client's quirky process.

If I was faced with such a situation... and all I needed to do was copy my responses from my Upwork proposal to a Google doc... If they're not asking for a scan of my passport, or asking for my bank info, home address, etc... Then I guess I would just do it.

Thanks for your response Preston. 

The message I got from them was exactly the same as their initial job posting, with zero extra detail. 
The Google Application asked for the same details as that posting with personal details, that I have already given on Upwork.

I feel like they are trying to get me off of Upwork. So for me, copy pasting my original connect to them seems silly. To me I feel most protected if all correspondence happens through the Upwork App. 

I just prefer to work with someone who is a better communicator. If they aren't good at communicating in their first email I can't imagine a working relationship with them. Especially when the job description was so vague. 

I appreciate your feedback though. Thank you.

Erin 

mzbick
Community Member

Big thanks for your fast response Miriam. 

Ya they are asking for personal details on a Google Application.
All the same questions they asked on their job posting. It was as if they didn't read the first corrispondence I sent to them, which was like a mini resume specific to their questions...

I think it may smell a bit off to me. 

They hardly gave any details about the job in their posting, and then pasted the exact same thing in the first connect with me... 

I'd rather work with someone who is more thourough, and good at communicating. 😉

Thanks again!

Erin 

m_sharman
Community Member

You are welcome....glad you found the forum, I always learn from folks who have been here a long time, it's a good resource.

re: "Ya they are asking for personal details on a Google Application."

Ugh.

No.

A real client doesn't need your personal information.

Somebody's just running a scam or doing identity theft.

There's no money for you to earn there.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths