🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is a client immediately wanting to talk on Sk...
Page options
danielpeterson47
Community Member

Is a client immediately wanting to talk on Skype a possible scam?

I sent in a proposal. Got an immediete response to go to Skype, look up a user, and go for an 'interview'. Interview was just a few questions on a Word document.

It seems a bit peculiar already but I'm looking out for more red flags like opening really strange files, etc.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork! Now, stop. Don't do anything else until you are familiar enough with UW's ToS to know the biggest red flag in this situation: it is forbidden to communicate with a prospective client by any means other than UW Messages before a contract is in place. 

Use the Help & Support pages and browse this forum, especially the New to Upwork page. Come and ask questions about anything you can't find or don't understand. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork! Now, stop. Don't do anything else until you are familiar enough with UW's ToS to know the biggest red flag in this situation: it is forbidden to communicate with a prospective client by any means other than UW Messages before a contract is in place. 

Use the Help & Support pages and browse this forum, especially the New to Upwork page. Come and ask questions about anything you can't find or don't understand. 

Okay, will do.

Is there somewhere I can send the listing to report it? Also, how can I get my connects back in this case?

Hi Daniel, 

You can report suspicious user activity by following the steps in this article. If the client's job post is actioned, the Connects used for the proposal will automatically be refunded to your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths