cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is a profile picture required or optional

Highlighted
Eric H Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
11 of 51

Of course I have a computer - but why does that assume imaging equipment? I have neither smartphone nor webcam nor scanner - not to mention my ID photo is not going to get me contracts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 51

@Eric H wrote:

Of course I have a computer - but why does that assume imaging equipment? I have neither smartphone nor webcam nor scanner - not to mention my ID photo is not going to get me contracts.

It seems that Upwork may not be the right place for you since they require that freelancers have a photo of them on their profile.

Many other freelancing platforms don't have such requirements.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
13 of 51

But why construct an artificial barrier to entry except to disenfranchise the poor? Wouldn't it be better PR to accept the poor-but-highly-skilled and showcase their rise to success through Upwork? Why turn away the very people future customers would be impressed by?

The decision made by Upwork seems to be competely arbitrary except for the fact it prevents the sufficiently poor from operating here. Is that the type of reputation you're trying to promote?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
14 of 51

Hi Eric,

We have received advise from our team to let you know to go ahead and complete all other parts of your profile. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
15 of 51

I can no longer trust that Upwork will not sabotage my efforts or otherwise not slander or libel me. I want to be able to delete my account without having to enter in any more information.

Highlighted
16 of 51

...and now I'm expected to have a mobile phone that can be texted to "verify my phone number" - what if I only have a landline? What is wrong with you people? I'm not about to give you my phone information - I've already been harassed by people that you've sold what little information I've given to you to.

This is the worst experience I've ever had on a website.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
17 of 51

Hi Eric,

The phone number verification is used only to verify your location.
Regarding your second concern, Upwork does not sell private information from our users. The private information we receive from our users are safely secured and used only to verify the information freelancers are listing on their profiles.

Untitled
Highlighted
18 of 51

How does my mobile phone verify my location? My phone is geared to say I'm nowhere *near* my physical location.

Why do I have to enter in all my information to cancel and delete the information I've entered?

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
19 of 51

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately you will need to verify your location in order to proceed with applying on projects. I would also like to remind you about our User Agreement, specifically Section 3. Upwork Accounts that you have agreed to when you signed up as a freelancer, thank you!

Untitled
Highlighted
20 of 51

I'm trying to delete my account precisely because of this. I'm trying to undo this transaction. Your system won't let me.