Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is a profile picture required or optional

Highlighted
Yasmin R Member Since: Jul 7, 2019
31 of 47

Hello,

This is a bit wrong as you see a person's face is their own. It should not be a requirement that we show our faces. Upwork is not letting me complete my profile as a freelancer because it requires a photograph of my face. However, while I wish to work, I wish to protect my privacy and the violation of which is quite literally represented by requireing me to put a photograph of my face up.

Highlighted
Tarek A Member Since: Jan 25, 2020
32 of 47

I have a case similar to the one posted and that I have a cronic reason of not posting my face. However, I am willing for any other verifcation methods, especially that I have been working in the past in international/multinational organizations like Etisalat Egypt and Orange Egypt,

Thanks to find a work-arround to omit the requirment of the photo.

Thanks

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
33 of 47

Hi Tarek,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Could you please send me a PM with more information so that I can assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Abdallah A Member Since: Oct 20, 2019
34 of 47

"It must be an actual picture of your"
Then, why does uploading a photo of a random stuff work, but not an actual photo of my face?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 47

re: "Then, why does uploading a photo of a random stuff work, but not an actual photo of my face?"

You are seeing automated algorithms that are not working correctly.

It is very easy for a human being to recognize a face. Babies can do it.

But it is difficult to make computers correctly identify that an image file is a face.

Highlighted
SL S Member Since: May 10, 2020
36 of 47
This is an unfair requirement. For remote work? Why does it matter what you look like. People should be judged on their quality of work not looks. This is very outdated and contributes to sexism, ageism and racism.
Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
37 of 47

Hi SL,

Freelancers are required to add their profile picture to make sure that account owners are the ones offering their services through their profiles, and building trust between clients and freelancers. You might want to check out this article for more tips on choosing a profile photo. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
38 of 47

People can easily put a fake picture.  Its a stupid rule. Looks have nothing  to do with skill unless its a model/acting job.

Highlighted
39 of 47

Absolutely! 

Highlighted
Susan B Member Since: Jun 6, 2020
40 of 47

Why is a photo needed?  What is the purpose of the photo?

I am now retired, but kept my identity undisclosed while I worked for the government, due to physical threats.  I would like to continue working into retirement, but I will not disclose my photo for predators to associate.  

Please explain exactly why the photo is needed, and do not quote the terms of service.