🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Upwork keeps flagging my profile picture ...
Page options
beachdude25
Community Member

Is a profile picture required or optional

1.Is a profile picture required or optional?

2.Can I upload a temporarily blank picture?  

It seems I can't save my profile because it says something along the lines of "profile picture is required" before I can save the profile info.  It makes it seem like having a profile picture is required  : /

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jihad, 

I understand how this can be frustrating on your end. I would like to clarify that on Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification it says that - 

"When you register for an Account and periodically thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including but not limited to validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, your location, and your ability to act on behalf of your business on Upwork. You authorize Upwork, directly or through third parties, to make any inquiries necessary to validate your identity, your location, and confirm your ownership of your business, email address or financial accounts, subject to applicable law. When requested, you must timely provide us with complete information about yourself and your business, which includes providing official government or legal documents, and cooperating with other reasonable requests we make to verify your identity. During verification some Account features may be temporarily limited but will be restored if verification is successfully completed."

In this help article, we have stated that the information on any of the documents you submit should match the information on your Upwork profile. As such, we will need to be able to match the identity documents will submit when asked to verify your account, with the information on your Upwork profile. I kindly request that you please upload a photo on your Upwork profile to be able to continue using Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

96 REPLIES 96

Hello James,

Your profile photo can be rejected in case it is not clearly showing your facial features. You can check this help article for our profile photo guidelines.

Thank you.

Pradeep H

Upwork

Okay. So how do I get in contact with someone?

Hi James,

May I know your query please? I can look for the best solution here for you and will forward your concern to the support team if we need further investigation.

Thank you

Pradeep H

Upwork

Hi, One of my friends has recently created an Upwork account but it says that a profile picture is mandatory. She is a muslim and does hijab and is not comfortable sharing her picture publicly, however she can provide the verification of ID whenever required (since it is confidential). I have read your comments in different posts where you have told people to inbox for resolving the issue, please tell me what's the procedure in order to get an exemption from uploading the profile picture. Thanks.

Hi Adeem,

While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your full face, we do allow for certain exemptions including the one you've described for your friend. You may advise her to either post on this Community requesting the exemption or click on the "Get Support" button at the bottom right corner of this page to get assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
hexan
Community Member

Since you need work and show that you are interested in what you are doing, i guess is required.

834284b8
Community Member

When i want to upload my profile photo, this is what i get " cant upload image, value unit out of range for intl. Number format options property style in upwork....". Can someone help with the solution. You can check the attachment.

Hi Blackson,

Firstly, welcome to Upwork! I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties uploading your profile picture. I have shared your report with the appropriate team and one of the members will be assisting you further via a support ticket. You can access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ifeanyi_j
Community Member

I am trying to upload a new, more current photo to my profile. I understand the process and how to upload one. I am pressing "save photo" on the screen, but then the photo doesn't save to my profile. Does it have to be reviewed before it shows up on my profile? Thank you, also how to earn?

Hi Ifeanyi,

I have shared your report with the appropriate team for review and one of the members will be assisting you further via a support ticket. You can access your ticket on this page and for the time being, please see this help article for more details about profile photo guidelines.

~ Arjay
Upwork
williamtcooper
Community Member

I highly recommend having a photo visible if you want to get Jobs.

6c4c69f9
Community Member

Hello,

What should I do if I'm too ugly to post my real photo? I have asymetrical face and I also look too gayish. I don't think that I would get any contract wich such profile photo but you now made it a requirement. Aren't there laws agains such discrimination?

I already have a real account at Upwork and I had to "fix" my photo in photoshop for this reason. It's now symetrical but still too gayish. I would feel better if I wouldn't have to have my photo on my profile.

I have already earned almost 300k since I started on oDesk. I'm sure that it wouldn't happen if I would upload my real photo.

And don't argue with account validation. The account can be validate without publishing a photo on profile.

Clients hire people who fit their needs; they aren't looking for fashion models. It's an Upwork requirement, so if you want to work here, you need to do it. As you can see from the other responses in this long thread, they aren't going to change their minds about this. 

Also, what's the problem with looking "too gayish" in the first place, as you so disparagingly put it? Do you think that there are no successful LGBTQ freelancers on Upwork, or that any intelligent client cares about your personal life? 

You also need to give your real, legal name in your profile, so unless you can produce government ID that lists your first name as "Community", you won't be allowed to withdraw any money that you earn anyway.

Hi there, 

Thank you for your message. Please note that your profile photo must be real and easily verifiable. Uploading a fake photo or other photos that do not belong to you is considered a TOS violation. Also, I see that you are posting this message from a new account with no earnings. Creating or operating multiple accounts is considered a TOS violation and may lead to action being taken on all accounts. Please close your duplicate account to avoid action on your account with $300k earnings.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
907b9f40
Community Member

Hi Community Member and Manager,

Can I put my manager's photo on the profile since he will be the one managing all the projects and I am the owner of the freelance business? By the way, I am a client at the moment, therefore, I am allow to have a white tiger as my profile picture just in case someone curious 😉

Thanks 😘

Ayden

Hi Ayden,

Thank you for reaching out. To present yourself authentically, we only allow pictures of you, the account holder. Our team actively reviews all profiles to make sure it's a safe marketplace for everyone therefore we do routine identity verification. So to avoid getting your account put on hold due to your profile picture not matching the photo on your government-issued IDs, kindly change your profile picture with that of yourself.

~ AJ
Upwork
eeb57996
Community Member

Hi.

I have read all the posts on this topic, and I still haven't seen an answer to my question.

If I share my government ID with the uowork team, and I have a video with them. I verify my address, my email, my bank account,  my tax ID,  and what not... everything. Now UpWork knows exactly who I am, which I don't have any problem, and even appreciate.  This (and only this) is what makes upwork a safe place.

But why on earth must I share my photo to the public??? Everyone knows that upwork makes a thorough identity check. Sharing my personal photo to the public afterwords won't add any layer of security what so ever. Why than do I still need to put my personal photo to the profile?

I am religious,  and I have a big problem putting my ectual photo on my freelance profile. Both religiously and practically. I am not allowed to have a picture of me (beside my gornment ID), and even otherwise, I won't have any clients with my real face.

I also want to have the big opportunity of earning money here on upwork, but I am failing to understand the connection on why my public photo will help other clients.

Why can't it be divided. The upwork team will do EVERYTHING to make sure that each and every freelance account is trustworthy, and in the same time leave freelancers be privately comfortable out in the public.

And I forgot to mention... I see in some posts where the team members or other members answer "if you can't comply, than this is not your place". 

Well, that would maybe the case if there were one person here and there. But I see that this rule is effecting many people, whole sects of society. Than don't answer me it is not your place here... that's un-human to answer like this. We are part of society as everyone, and should have the same opportunity as everyone. 

I hope to hear soon from you. 

Thanks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths