🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is an "HR Employment Letter" before Upwork Pr...
Page options
90915ce8
Community Member

Is an "HR Employment Letter" before Upwork Proposal Acceptance Common?

Hey folks,

Very weirded out by a client's activity but I do not have enough experience to confirm that this is unusual. After submitting my proposal, a client referred me to Skype, where I was asked to write out a few answers to a few questions and upload them. The client then expressed interest in working with me, to which I replied that I was eager to receive the confirmation on Upwork.

At this point, I was asked to send my name, address, and phone number so that HR could draft an "employment letter." I then replied that I would send requested info after receiving an official invitation on Upwork, to which the client reiterated their request for information.

My gut is right here, no? This is very weird?

EDIT: further re-reading of the attached conversation has convinced me that the client has misunderstood the purpose of Upwork. I've offered this final message to close the issue, though I'd still like anyone's feedback on how much of this was a red flag. Thanks again! ("Hey Leonard, unfortunately I believe we have miscommunicated. Upwork is a site for freelancers to connect with clients on individual projects - not a hiring service. While I am happy to contract my work out to you on a case-by-case basis, I am not looking for employment. I wish you the best of luck in your hiring process.")

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
salima-noorani
Community Member

Hi Josh,

It is against the UW TOS to communicate outside upwork before a contract is in place.

The fact that they asked you to do so is a big red flag.

And the fact that you decided to comply with their request is a mistake on your part. You could get into trouble for doing that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
salima-noorani
Community Member

Hi Josh,

It is against the UW TOS to communicate outside upwork before a contract is in place.

The fact that they asked you to do so is a big red flag.

And the fact that you decided to comply with their request is a mistake on your part. You could get into trouble for doing that.

Oh boy. I appreciate your being explicit. I'll pray for mercy from the powers-that-be.

lysis10
Community Member

lol it's a scam

Pulling you onto Skype for an interview and yammering about "hiring managers" and "employment letters" is all part of a common scam here. Flag the project as inappropriate using the link at the top right of the job post, and Upwork will take it down and give you back your connects.

Josh A wrote:

Oh boy. I appreciate your being explicit. I'll pray for mercy from the powers-that-be.

You can serve yourself even better by taking the time to read and understand the ToS and the available information about how to get started using UW safely and profitably.

JoanneP

Hi Josh,

I'd like to add that if you see a job that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. Please feel free to send me a PM with more information, and I'll look into this for you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths