cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is communicating outside Upwork allowed? If yes, what are conditions?

sunnykingisup
Ace Contributor
Muhammad E Member Since: Mar 16, 2020
1 of 5

Hello,
I searched about this question on this forum but the posts which I did read, had been posted years ago.

So, my question is, according to current rules and policies, is this allowed to communicate with the client outside the Upwork? If the answer is "No", then this is all that I wanted to know. But if the answer is "Yes", then my other question is, on which conditions we can communicate outside the Upwork? because sometimes, in the interview client ask for contact information and says that they want to share the details of the projects on some screen sharing, etc but I always prefer to keep communication on the Upwork.

Also, if it is allowed to communicate outside with some conditions, even then if a seller wants to keep all the communications on the Upwork, then can that seller directly deny to the client from communicating outside?

I would be very thankful to all of the persons who will comment and answer and guide me and clear my confusion about this topic.

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
2 of 5

It is allowed but only after you have accepted a contract from the client, not during the interview phase. There's a long thread about the rule changes here.

jobayersajal
MD ABU JOBAYER S Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
3 of 5
Hi,is there any limitation on medium of contacting outside upwork after accepting contract, for example,Can I contact through any medium of contact I like or should stick with email only?
In my sense,it should be allowed to use any media like whatsapp,phone,email.but,I am just making it sure that I am not breaking upwork TOS. Thanks
tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 5

Hi Md Abu Jobayer,

Yes, once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose. However, we find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these harmful behaviors decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent on Upwork do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
avirockx007
Community Leader
Awais N Member Since: Nov 12, 2017
5 of 5

Hi Muhammad E,

Yes, I think it is allowed as I remember but make sure you have made a contract first & payment is funded in the escrow. I don't think there could be an issue of being contacted outside after that. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS