🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it Okay or normal That Client ask for veri...
Page options
03a271f9
Community Member

Is it Okay or normal That Client ask for verification Such As Passport and Address Verification.

I am new in freelancing, today I submitted a proposal for a job, client interviewed me & ask for verification "we would need you to provide verification details such as Passport and address verification. Thanks!"

Is it Okay or normal? Can I provide My Passport, Is it safe?

Need guidance on this issue. Senior please comment.

3 REPLIES 3
dd63c576
Community Member

Why would anybody ask for your Passport etc?

Only Upwork has to ask because you are having account with them and they need to verify it. I don't think any job that needs ur passport until you have to travel.

I don't know, that's why I am here. I give him my passport, he said to me that he will use this for Non-Disclosure Confidentiality Agreement - You cannot use, share or put this work in your portfolio, I will send you a NDA with your details in the next few days

re: "Is it Okay or normal That Client ask for verification Such As Passport and Address Verification.
Is it Okay or normal? Can I provide My Passport, Is it safe?"

Generally speaking:

It is NOT okay.

It is NOT normal.

It is quite possibly NOT safe.

I would be cautious about any such situation.

I believe that is IS possible for a client to be IGNORANT of how Upwork works, and what the norms are, and then try to appy some of his internal office procedures to the hiring process with Upwork freelancers... and ask for something like this for those reasons...

But how do I know that's why he is asking for those reasons, versus asking because he is a scammer who wants to use the information for identity theft purposes?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths