🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Is it Possible to Message Someone Who Sent an...
Page options
f5b157e4
Community Member

Is it Possible to Message Someone Who Sent an Invitation to Interview w/o Accepting the Invitation?

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Upwork and I just received an invitation to interview for a job. However, their job posting is vague and I have a couple questions I'd prefer to have clarification on before accepting an invitation to interview. I do not see an option to message them and ask any questions though, as their message does not show up in my message inbox, but rather under the proposals tab.

Is there something I'm missing, or is it not possible to message them for clarification without accepting the invitation to interview?

Thanks in advance!

-Nikki S.

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

It's not possible to do that. Ask your questions in your proposal. You can always back out of the interview if the answers make you decide you don't want to accept the job.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Upwork and I just received an invitation to interview for a job. However, their job posting is vague and I have a couple questions I'd prefer to have clarification on before accepting an invitation to interview. I do not see an option to message them and ask any questions though, as their message does not show up in my message inbox, but rather under the proposals tab.

Is there something I'm missing, or is it not possible to message them for clarification without accepting the invitation to interview?

Thanks in advance!

-Nikki S.

What you describe is exactly what an interview is for, to clarify any questions. What is your trepidation about? Accepting an interview means nothing in upwork terms, it can't have any negative consequences. Only thing though, you should respond within 24 hours to keep your responsiveness high. 

(Final note: some clients will send you an invitation, you reply, and you never hear back from them. There is no obligation to you in any form, or to them, for that matter.)

Simply because there is no reason to waste anyone’s time. Why would I go to the effort of creating a proposal and having them read it when I might have absolutely no interest in (and may not even be qualified for) the job? I would not apply to or take an interview for a job without having a basic understanding of what it entails out in the everyday job market, either.

Their requirements for a proposal were oddly specific, yet their description of the job was practically nonexistent. In any case, thanks for the response, but the offer has been declined.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths