🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Is it a scam to "corporate" with someone?
Page options
169bb531
Community Member

Is it a scam to "corporate" with someone?

I received a message on LinkedIn where the individual claims their account was suspended during their vacation and as such can't commit any work anymore.

They are looking to "corporate with someone" so they continue to work.

I asked if they had a link to their profile still (I imagine it wouldn't be purged from existence, right?) and was told that they can't login.

Overall, this seems fishy but I don't know enough about Upwork to tell if this is an obvious scam or not.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Is that what he was asking to do?"

Yes.

Forum regulars are already familiar with the games being played by these people who use LinkedIn and Freelancer.com to contact Upwork freelancers. There is no "win" for you in any of this. These people are just wasting your time and moving you toward account termination.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Cameron:

It doesn't matter if it is a scam or not.

It is a violation of one of Upwork's most important, most serious ToS.

You are never allowed to log into somebody else's Upwork account.

You are never allowed to let anybody else lot into your account.

There are two possibilities:

a) The person who contacted you is not planning to scam you, but is only planning to violate Upwork ToS, with your help. That would make you and the other person "partners in crime." But you would be able to rely on "honor among thieves" that he isn't trying to scam you.

b) The person is trying to scam you personally.

If you are caught involved in any of this, whether (a) or (b), then you would probably have your acount terminated.

Is that what he was asking to do? He doesn't explicitly say "login to my
account" but rather "corporate with someone". Is that not a position
similar to freelancer that exists? For a team of people to come together to
perform work through Upwork?

Don't do it.  Really.

re: "Is that what he was asking to do?"

Yes.

Forum regulars are already familiar with the games being played by these people who use LinkedIn and Freelancer.com to contact Upwork freelancers. There is no "win" for you in any of this. These people are just wasting your time and moving you toward account termination.

Thanks!

Cameron W wrote:
Is that what he was asking to do? He doesn't explicitly say "login to my
account" but rather "corporate with someone". Is that not a position
similar to freelancer that exists? For a team of people to come together to
perform work through Upwork?

The word is cooperate. Note that it is a common screening technique of scammers that use the internet in their endeavours to not use correct spelling. Why, you ask? Because it seperates the gullible that are not bothered by mistakes from the more discerning, and therefore, less trustful ones. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths